This software can not be installed on this computer

Reaction score
We are in the process of upgrading our computers to Tiger (OS X 10.4.5) from Panther (OS X 10.3.9), but have come across a problem. In particular, this problem is a message we have gotten when starting to upgrade some systems. We get the message, "This software can not be installed on this computer."

The machine specs for the one I was working on this morning that gave me this message are: Quicksilver PowerMac G4, 800 MHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 38.34 GB hard drive with 15.31 GB available.

Apple's specs for running Tiger are:
Mac OS X Version 10.4 requires a Macintosh with:

PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
Built-in FireWire
At least 256MB of physical RAM
A built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
At least 3.0 GB of available space on your hard drive; 4GB of disk space if you install XCode 2 developer tools
DVD drive for installation

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I've checked for firmware updates and found nothing that applies...

We have 4 more G4s with similar specs that are in line to have their OS updated too, but as we've got users on them right now and we're on a deadline for press, don't havev the opportunity to try those today... Will be trying a "lampshade" iMac this afternoon though...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

first question...What Disk(s) are you using to do the Upgrades ? I presume you have the Retail DVD's ?

regards

Ric

Ask a Question