Terminal password not working

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm trying to use a file that requires me to use Terminal and enter my password.

However, I have in the past set up my Mac to not need a password to open it when I boot it up (I just press Enter and I'm in - same for accepting any changes to programs, file deletion, etc), yet the same thing (i.e. no password) doesn't work in Terminal so there must be a password I've forgotten.

I've tried using Recovery Mode and resetpassword in Terminal there to reset the password, but the new one I entered doesn't work in Terminal either. I always get a "sorry, try again" message.

I have reset PRAM, but that didn't help. I can't use Users&Groups in System Prefs to change the password because I don't appear to know the old one.

I really don't want to have to reset my Mac, but is that the only option?

Hope someone can help.

Tom

Reaction score
Thanks for your help mate. I went through Apple in the end and they've helped me fix the password issue. Yet to try the original problem with Terminal again, but I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Cheers

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

In order to escalate permissions in the Terminal, you will need to set a password for your user and then enter it when prompted in the terminal.

Just hitting the enter key, if you do not have a user password will not work.

Ask a Question