System Won't Start / Corrupt System

Reaction score
Help! A while ago, I started getting the following message when trying to launch a number of non-Apple applications (Retrospect, MS Office, Propellerheads Reason, etc.):

The application "Retrospect Express" could not be launched because of
a shared library error: "0<Retrospect
Express><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_Print><>"

..so I found some info on the Microsoft website that had me use the OS X disc and run Disk Utility to repair the disk. Well, the disk repair failed, returning the message "The underlying task reported failure." Now, the OS won't start up from the hard drive. I booted from my back-up drive while I made backup CDs of some files, then proceeded to change the startup disk back to my hard drive to see if I could get it to boot - forgetting to put the OS X DVD back into the tray.

Now, I can't get the OS to start up, but I can't even hold the "C" key to start from the CD, I just get stuck with an apple on the screen and a spinny wheel, then the fans start to go full blast. A safe mode boot doesn't work, either. Is there any way to force the drive open before the system starts up so I can have it boot from the DVD and try to reinstall OS X?

Any help is appreciated.

My system is:
Power Mac G5, Dual 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM
OS X - 10.4.6

Thanks!

Reaction score
If you hold the mouse button down while you restart that will get the CD tray to open on startup...

Ask a Question