System Font Corruption

Reaction score
Basically, somehow over the course of downloading fonts for a school project, my system "Arial" font has been corrupted by some sort of heavy metal, illegible for body copy font. If I open any document using Arial on any application (aka 90% of the web), the font is completely unreadable. I attached two screenshots.

I went to the Genius Bar at my local store and somehow got it mostly fixed by moving all of my fonts to an alternate folder and reinstalling them in groups until I identified the font (which I wish I'd written down the name of now), which I promptly uninstalled. It occasionally would appear in documents, but I changed my default fonts to something other than Arial and was mostly clear.

After my latest restart, the offending font reared its ugly head all over my computer once again. I checked out my System > Library > Fonts folder, and Arial wasn't even listed in it. I was hoping someone had experienced this before and knew how to fix it once and for all. If you even knew where Chrome fonts are stalled so I can make a quick fix, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to finish up urgent school projects and don't have the time or energy to go to the Genius Bar.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    55 KB · Views: 311
Reaction score
There is no Arial font in (System > Library > Fonts ) on my System either
Check if it also happen when logged in as a different user if it does then check
Macintosh HD > System > Library > Fonts
if it is fine as another user then check
Macintosh HD > Users > YourUserName > Library > Fonts

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
As you know, the fonts are found at:

System ~> Library ~> Fonts​

But you will find the Arial fonts at:

Macintosh HD ~> Library ~> Fonts​

This link explains more about where the fonts are and which ones are critical for the System to function properly:

Font Management in OS X

Also you should run Software Update (if you haven't already done so) as there is an update for Snow Leopard Fonts:

About the Mac OS X v10.6.7 Snow Leopard Font Update

Also if you look in your Applications folder you will find an app called Font Book. Launch it and you can go about Validating or disabling Fonts until you find the guilty one. Just be very careful not to touch any System Fonts ... the first link does outline which Fonts should be left alone.

While you are in Font Book, go to the top menu and click on:

Help ~> Font Book Help.​

Then click on "Show All Help Topics" and then click on "Validating Fonts" in the list.

This will explain the process.

I hope this helps out ... let us know how you go ...

Reaction score
This also points to you not having your Mac setup very well.

You should have a separate Admin account and your normal Account should be standard.

When you installed these fonts you should have put them into YOUR library Fonts folder then no problems would have been caused and you would have been able to find and uninstall any problem font.

Ask a Question