switching between Chinese and English

Reaction score
I am a native English speaker and am learning Mandarin. I do a lot of typing with Chinese characters, and I already know how to switch into the Chinese language setting on my Mac and use it to write Chinese characters.

My problem stems from the interchange between English and Chinese. Namely it is a problem of scale.
My default font sizes are set perfectly for English, but when I read or type Chinese characters in this same default font size, they are much too small for my eyes.

In order to read these Chinese characters, I must increase the font size to 24 or 36. If I'm having a conversation with a Chinese friend in an instant messenger, I must copy and paste the Chinese characters into a word processing document so I can enlarge the font. This is proving to be extremely cumbersome and time-consuming.

Maybe this is because I am still new to Chinese characters and cannot yet recognize them in such small fonts. I don't know if Chinese people can or not, or if their computers are just programmed so that characters are more readable.

So here's what I'm looking for:
Is there any way to tell my computer to set the default font size for Chinese characters larger than it is for English?
I don't want to just increase the default for everything, because then my English will be much bigger than necessary.

Ask a Question