stubborn cd won't eject

Reaction score
Today I was trying to back-up some files on my mac osx. During the burning of a cd, something went wrong. I ejected it, and later put it back in the computer, but now it wont eject. I've gone so far as to go to the firmware prompt to enter "eject cd", as I read in another thread, but no luck. I've been trying for hours with no luck. Can anyone help me?:confused:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Restart holding your mouse button down and the CD/DVD tray will open.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there cantius and welcome !

another way...

Open iTunes and press the eject button in the iTunes window, that ejects a lot of stubborn disks.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the great ideas...but sadly I've pulled those tricks out of my sleeve already, and had no luck. Any other ideas? Isn't there a "fix everything/make your computer perfect again" button somewhere on this gadget? :( Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

You could try this in Terminal...

Code:
drutil tray eject

then press return

or this

Code:
drutil tray open

then press return

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Curious, the "code" box was empty in the last reply. Could you please repeat?
Also, I do not know what "terminal" is, or how to get to it.
~Cantius

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Cantius,

Terminal is an application in your Utilities Folder in your Application Folder...

Have a look here...

Once Terminal is opened...Type in the text and then press return.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hey Ric, I'll try that, but could you repeat what text needs to be typed? (It didnt show up in the response you had sent previously)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi cantius,

I don't understand ? Are you referring to the emails that get sent to you ?

If you scroll up the page...the text is in Post 5 above ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

The problem was that in your previous post (#5) I could read everything except the text you had advised that I type in terminal. In post #5 it stated:

"You could try this in Terminal..." and there were some "code" boxes which followed, but were empty. Therefore, I didnt know what I was supposed to type in terminal :confused:

But, I noticed later that when I checked my email, that your response was included in the email, and the code which I was to type was visible in the email.

I tried both commands, but still no luck.

I'm going to take the computer to someone tomorrow to have them look at it. If you or anyone else has any other ideas, they would be GREATLY appreciated since I have to drive 4 hours to this place, and it will cost around $100/hr to get'er fixed :(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi cantius,

Sorry for any confusion...I honestly am not sure what you mean... the text is visible on the web page...

When someone posts a message they get 'subscribed' to that thread...then when someone else replies...the Website sends out an automatic email to everyone who has 'subscribed' to that "Thread"...the only thing that I can think of is that the email that was sent to you...somehow didn't have the code text in it ?

As long as you have the code...alls well that ends well...

Sorry neither of them worked !

If everything we've suggested doesn't work...then it sounds like you have little choice...maybe try everything again...just in case one of them works, before it costs !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

No more worries--except my poor bank account took a major dive today :( . The problem turned out to be a hardware problem. They replaced the disk drive among other things. And about the confusion...I have no idea why, but on my webpage, the text that you asked me to type was not visible--still isnt, but who knows why.

Thanks SO much for all of your help and advise. At least I'd consulted with the pros (you guys) previous to making the trek today, and when the computer doctors told me it was the drive, I was fairly certain there was no other alternative.

Your help has been greatly appreciated.

~Cantius

Ask a Question