Streaming video & Firewall

Reaction score
I am recent to verizon dsl with a linksys wireless ethernet router. I was set up with phone help from verizon. At this point I had Streaming video from the various news orgs and youtube etc. My electricty went out and I reset every thing with both verizon and linksys. The linksys guy also set up the router security. Now I can't receive streaming video. I am a newbe at all this and have searched around the ineternet and found something about proxy servers but it went over my head.

I would like to have the streaming video back and still maintain the security if that's my problem.

My set up is as follows:

Verizon DSL westell 6100 modem
Linksys wireless router with ethernet WRT4GSX2
Mirrored door Mac with ! gig running OS 10.48

Any ideas would be helpful

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

Have you had a look in your System Preferences-->Sharing-->Firewall

Is the Mac Firewall on or off ?

What happens when you click on one of the videos ? Does it give any error message ?

I would doubt that it's the Firewall, more than likely another problem. For it to be the Firewall someone whould have had to 'restrict' outgoing ports...I can't see why the Verizon man/woman would have done that for a home installation. It is common practice to block certain ports in a corporate/education environment to stop people 'messing' when they should be working !

Let us know exactly what happens when you click on a movie, and we'll take it from there...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Update;
Emailed Linksys and got information to decrease the MTU from 1500 to 1462. It worked. I still do not know what it means, but it worked!

Thanks all. Found out a little about about firewalls on my machine.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
I know the problem's been solved, and this probably doesn't help much in understanding, but here's a definition of MTU (found through googling define:MTU):
MTU - The Maximum Transmission Unit is the largest packet that a given network medium can carry. Ethernet, for example, has a fixed MTU of 1500 bytes, ATM has a fixed MTU of 48 bytes, and PPP has a negotiated MTU that is usually between 500 and 2000 bytes. (Note that ATM's 48-byte "cells" are at the extreme low level. Network stacks usually don't use the cells directly; instead, they run over a higher-level framing standard called AAL5, which has a 65536 byte MTU.)

Ask a Question