Steam for Mac Won't Download

Reaction score
What I sent to Steam Support....Can anyone help me?

When I try to download Steam for Mac, it will get to about 12k of 49k kb's then a message says "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again." My DSL internet is not disconnecting or anything, so I'm not sure why it keeps doing this. What could be the problem?

I don't have any firewalls on. Steam downloaded on my Windows 7 laptop, so I'm pretty sure it couldn't be a port problem? I tried deleting the "registry.vdf" file and that did not work either. I'm on wireless, so I plugged in an ethernet cable and that did not work either. I planned on buying a lot of games, but doesn't look like I'll be able to. =/

Console Message said this...

4/2/12 1:55:19 AM [0x0-0x2a22a2].com.valvesoftware.steam[2440] ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".

4/2/12 1:55:19 AM [0x0-0x2a22a2].com.valvesoftware.steam[2440] SteamUpdater: Error: Download of package (strings_all) failed after 0 bytes (200).

4/2/12 1:55:19 AM [0x0-0x2a22a2].com.valvesoftware.steam[2440] SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.

4/2/12 1:55:19 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[88] ([0x0-0x2a22a2].com.valvesoftware.steam[2440]) Exited with exit code: 7

I am on a iMac with Mac OS X - Version 10.6.8

I tried downloading the english.txt and placing it in the package folder, but that did not work either.

Reaction score
When I do this...

Open a Finder window and browse to the following location:
/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam/config/
Double-click config.vdf to open it using TextEdit.

The only thing found in the Steam folder is...

"registry.vdf". There is no config or config.vdf

It is explained later that it does not show up because I am a first time user.

Afterwards, I copy and pasted this into Terminal...

"cd /
cd Applications
cd Steam.app
cd Contents
cd MacOS
./steam.sh"

When I copied and pasted it and hit enter it automatically started Updating Steam, like it would if I clicked on the Steam icon.

In the Terminal window it showed this....

ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
SteamUpdater: Error: Download of package (strings_all) failed after 0 bytes (200).
SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again.

---

It gave me the same Network Connection message as before, so I clicked ok and repeated the ./steam.sh command in Terminal

It gave the same message as before, so then I tried what another advice said to do. They said to go to the Steam folder and delete the registry.vdf file, so I did that and entered the command in Terminal once again. It gave me the same message.

So, I'm guessing its the steambootstrapper_english.txt that is not loading. I tried finding that file on the internet once before and added it to a folder. It still didn't work then. By the way, when I delete the registry.vdf file it automatically pops back in the Steam folder when I click the Steam icon to Update.

No fix :(

Reaction score
I have exactly the same issue. Steam support just said to reinstall.

Major pain as I have been buying up mac games.

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I don't know if anyone is still experiencing this issue...

I had a similar issue where it would start downloading the update and hang just before the download completes.

to resolve this issue what i did was i went into the directory below

/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam/

you will see there is a registry.vdf file... (not the issue)

but there is no config folder or config.vdf file...

so i created a config folder

/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam/config/

then i copied the registry.vdf into the folder and renamed it to config.vdf.

i opened the config.vdf file and deleted all text in the file and then i restarted the update download and it completed successfully... i just randomly tried this and it fixed my issue.

hope it helps anyone else with a similar issue.

Ask a Question