SSD Stops Working after a day

Reaction score
Every 6 months, I purchase a new SSD (SanDisk 4TB SSD) and I run my Mac Mini M1, saving media (Lightroom Catalog, Final Cut Library, etc) to that drive. When it's full, I plug in a new one, and continue my work.

I recently bought 2 new drives (during a holiday sale) and plugged one of the new drives in. I was able to save a few hundred photos to the drive, but when I came back to my computer the next day, the drive wasn't listed in the finder. It would not mount to the computer, "first aid" would not ID a problem, and the files seemed to be gone. It also wouldn't mount to a different computer in my house that I tried. I ended up re-formatting the drive and starting all over again. Once again, I loaded the drive with files, and the next day the drive was empty and not-mountable, just as above.

The wild part is that I assumed there was a defect with that drive, so I put it away and switched to ANOTHER new drive. The same problem persisted.

My older drives (the drives form last year. same model) are not having any trouble on this machine.

I'm truly baffled. Any insight would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Every 6 months, I purchase a new SSD (SanDisk 4TB SSD) and I run my Mac Mini M1, saving media (Lightroom Catalog, Final Cut Library, etc) to that drive. When it's full, I plug in a new one, and continue my work.

I recently bought 2 new drives (during a holiday sale) and plugged one of the new drives in. I was able to save a few hundred photos to the drive, but when I came back to my computer the next day, the drive wasn't listed in the finder. It would not mount to the computer, "first aid" would not ID a problem, and the files seemed to be gone. It also wouldn't mount to a different computer in my house that I tried. I ended up re-formatting the drive and starting all over again. Once again, I loaded the drive with files, and the next day the drive was empty and not-mountable, just as above.

The wild part is that I assumed there was a defect with that drive, so I put it away and switched to ANOTHER new drive. The same problem persisted.

My older drives (the drives form last year. same model) are not having any trouble on this machine.

What system software are you using. I am having a similar issue since I upgraded to a new iMac desktop using Monterey. My older LaCie drive works fine but the new drive mounted once, allowed me to backup to it but thereafter won't mount or mounts and then gets ejected.

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, without looking into this, I’d assume either the SSD disk formatting isn’t specific/new enough for Monterrey;

Or/and you’ve disk encryption (FileVault) enabled in macOS System Preferences (protecting copied files by making them look hidden, if* allowing to be copied at all).

I’d also not fill the SSD up completely, as they may be more likely to fail or loose data then. Leave maybe 10% (max) disk space free.

Reaction score
I have had a similar issue for a very long time. The external drive is visible but finder can't see the files. especially an issue using Time Machine. My recovery is to restart or reboot the Mac. This works for a day or two and then back to the same problem. It is still happening with Ventura. sigh...

Reaction score
I think Ventura has become the enemy. Three backups by Ventura on my reinstalled 2019 Mac and it only sees one.

Ask a Question