SOMETIMES name doesn't show up on incoming call

Reaction score
I can find lots of people talking about having similar issues with this. But the key word here is SOMETIMES. When I get a call from someone (who is in my contacts) SOMETIMES the name and number are displayed and other times, only the number. Then, when I look at "Recent Calls", both the name and number are always there. Even if the caller is the SAME PERSON, sometimes the name and number appear and sometimes just the number. This makes no sense (and makes me think the problem is probably unfixable) since it is not consistent. What do y'all think? The phone is a 5C and I’m using 10.3.3 operating system (on AT&T), but I don't think this really matters because the problem has persisted over several updates. I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have that issue intermittently as well. I have heard some folks say to disable Settings > Phone > Dial Assist. Others suggest a hard reset, Reset Network Settings, and even a complete erase and install.

Personally, I just live with it, as it seems to correct itself.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply. I have Googled and Googled to try and find out what I would LOSE if I turned off Dial Assist, but all I can find is how to turn it off and on. I NEVER travel abroad so maybe I don't need it???? I guess, since I can't find out what the "cons" are to turning it off, I'll just leave it as is and just live with this quirk! Thanks again!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

From the iPhone User Guide:

"Make calls to your contacts and favorites while traveling abroad. (GSM) Go to Settings > Phone, then turn on Dial Assist. Dial Assist automatically adds the prefix or country code for calls to the U.S."

That's all it does. Not sure why that would help in this situation, but folks have mentioned it.

C

Ask a Question