Slow iMac

Reaction score
Running OS Sierra 10.12.6
2.5 GHz Intel Core 5
memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 3750M 512 MB

Did some sort of recommended upgrade a couple of months ago (I cannot tell you what).

Slow booting since, have to try 6 -8 times, every time I want to log into Firefox and Safari is no better.

I am running MacKeeper and it says my computer is clean. What next?
Advice badly needed. Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-How full is the drive?
-How long have you had MacKeeper, and have you tried disabling it to see if that helps?

C

Reaction score
I'd guess I have had MacKeeper for a year and a half. I have not disabled it, but on your suggestion I will try that first thing tomorrow.

I'll have to check on the dirve. I am on another computer at the moment and , as above, I can answer that question tomorrow. Cory, you are an angel sent o help the ignorant

Reaction score
I disabled MacKeeper this morning and checked my drive. I have only used about 1/4 of its capacity, so I am OK there.
I shut down and re-opened. It seems to be better, so I will quit my whining for now.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Keep it disabled and see how it goes. Let us know if the slowness returns, and we'll diagnose from there.

Stay healthy and safe.

C

Reaction score
2.5 GHz Intel Core 5

Did some sort of recommended upgrade a couple of months ago (I cannot tell you what).

Slow booting since, have to try 6 -8 times, every time I want to log into Firefox and Safari is no better.

2.5 GHz Intel Core 5

I had a similar issue. I did two thing. I switched to Malware and I removed a lot of programs that wanted to open on start up. Go to System Preference, Users and Groups. Look in the Login tab and see what’s opening on start up. Personally I don’t have any. You can add and delete them by using the “+,-“ sign at the bottom of the box

Reaction score
I had a similar issue. I did two thing. I switched to Malware and I removed a lot of programs that wanted to open on start up. Go to System Preference, Users and Groups. Look in the Login tab and see what’s opening on start up. Personally I don’t have any. You can add and delete them by using the “+,-“ sign at the bottom of the box

Did you mean to say you switched to Malwarebytes? I hope that is what you meant.

Reaction score
Tom H.,

This "some sort of recommended upgrade" you did a couple months ago, you didn't upgrade to a newer OS like High Sierra, Mojave or Catalina did you? You did not state what year your iMac is so not even sure if your machine is eligible for to run those newer operating systems.

Ask a Question