Simple Question Involving AVI. and Quicktime

Reaction score
Hey just wondering every time I download an AVI file when I go to Play it in Quicktime but it only plays the first 9 seconds of the clip was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix that and also the files play fine in VLC I'm confused.:confused:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hey just wondering every time I download an AVI file when I go to Play it in Quicktime but it only plays the first 9 seconds of the clip was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix that and also the files play fine in VLC I'm confused.:confused:

Hi MR EKIP :)

It's hard to say why this is happening ... could be one thing or another?

Make sure you have Flip4Mac & Perian installed, these work with QuickTime and give you a broader spectrum when it comes to playing different movie files on your Mac.

Don't be too confused about VLC playing the files without trouble as VLC can handle pretty much anything that is thrown at it ... QuickTime isn't as flexable.

.avi files are a container format and it's what's in the container that QT has to play ... the audio/video formats just may be something that QT isn't sure about.

I'd give Flip4Mac & Perian a go.

Let us know how it goes ... ;)

Reaction score
Hi MR EKIP :)

It's hard to say why this is happening ... could be one thing or another?

Make sure you have Flip4Mac & Perian installed, these work with QuickTime and give you a broader spectrum when it comes to playing different movie files on your Mac.

Don't be too confused about VLC playing the files without trouble as VLC can handle pretty much anything that is thrown at it ... QuickTime isn't as flexable.

.avi files are a container format and it's what's in the container that QT has to play ... the audio/video formats just may be something that QT isn't sure about.

I'd give Flip4Mac & Perian a go.

Let us know how it goes ... ;)

I downloaded and installed Perian and Flip4mac but the problem still remains and the only reason I want to fix this is so I can burn the files to a DVD using Toast Titanium without converting the files because converting with visual hub takes for ever for the length of the videos.:(

Reaction score
Hi Mr Ekip
if you have version 9 of 'Toast' you can convert you .avi file to a video_TS folder and burn it all with the press of one button, dvd video. As for the length of time that you can view, do you actually have more veiwable video?

Reaction score
No I only have Toast 8 is there any other DVD burning programs that will burn AVI.?

Reaction score
Hi
The only other app I have used is 'VisualHub available here http://www.techspansion.com
This app allows you to do a multitude of things with your .avi file. You can create a Video_TS folder which then can be burnt using toast. Or you can just make a video dvd. I hope this may be of some use to you

Ask a Question