Simple Flight Simulator?

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a simple flight simulator app for Snow Leopard and/or Yosemite? Simple is the key word here. I don't want to dogfight, or learn all the controls of a fighter jet, or master landing a realistic jumbo jet on an aircraft carrier. I just want to fly around a 3D space to relax.

I used to have such an app way back when, like around System 7 days. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks for any tips!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am not familiar with any flight simulators myself, but i do know that many folks like X-Plane and FlightGear, as they are more leisure flying versus combat.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory, I'll check those apps out.

I'm checking out Google Earth at the moment, and it may be all I need. It has a built in flight simulator that looks like it will be pretty easy once I play with it a bit. From what I'm reading here it looks like you can fly it with just a mouse. Once I get the hang of the plane(s) presumably the entire Earth will be available for me to explore, which seems like quite enough.

Now I don't need to complain about Apple on forums anymore, as I'll soon be able to drop laser guided snarky bombs on Apple headquarters from 30,000 feet.

Reaction score
Thanks Cory, I'll check those apps out.

Now I don't need to complain about Apple on forums anymore, as I'll soon be able to drop laser guided snarky bombs on Apple headquarters from 30,000 feet.

The rest of us would not like that, so please exercise both caution and common sense with that program. But, thanks for the warning. I'll get in touch with Apple ASAP, so that they can prepare for this, and shoot down any intruders!

Also, if you are that adverse to the Apple world, maybe a switch to the "dark side" is in order!

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Google Earth Flight Simulator is cool, but the controls are hypersensitive and it takes every bit of my attention just to keep the plane in the air. One tiny false move with your mouse and you're in a death spiral towards the ground. At least with my setup, it's gonna be kind of impossible to enjoy sightseeing.

Perhaps a different mouse or other control equipment like joystick might resolve this, don't know. It might be a Mac thing, as I found a thread with a thousand Mac users all complaining about mouse sensitivity issues in Google Earth.

However, I did find GEFS Flight Simulator which is a free, online, multi-player service. It's much easier to fly and seems to have much the same location options as Google Earth, which it is perhaps based on, not sure. And, it has mouse sensitivity adjustment controls, which seem to work pretty well. First impression, a simpler, easier, more reliable version of the Google Earth Flight Sim.

Ask a Question