Should I update to Venturer

Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and upgraded to Mac OS Monterey and I am very pleased that I did, everything works ok.

Reaction score
The problem with not updating to a newer operating system is that after a few years (3, I think), Apple drops support for it. You quit getting security and bug fixes to the current one you are using. Also, you quit receiving updates to the Safari internet browser. Over time it becomes less secure and may also become dysfunctional because of changes in how web pages are programmed. Of course, your hardware must support the newer operating system to be able to update.

Reaction score
I would give it very careful consideration. If you do decide to do it, I urge you to ensure that you have a sound back-up of your files and system and check that your current computer has no corruption or problems with the system or anything else.

I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura after becoming irritated by the constant urging to do so from Apple and the fact that the update was always showing.

I won't go into full detail because I've done so at length elsewhere but the result was a catastrophe that cost me time, money, loss of use of my computer for a couple of weeks, and laborious contact with Apple, an Apple Service Centre, and others. This arose because the update showed as successful but on using it I had all manner of issues, not least of which was that I could no longer boot in either Safe or Recovery mode. Various applications functioned erratically, despite supposedly being suitable for Ventura and a host of other niggling problems occurred. When, as a result of all this, I attempted to go back to Monterey, I couldn't, of course, use either Safe mode or Recovery and so had to try a fresh install. At this point, the computer locked and I was unable to use it at all - hence the amount of contact with Apple and others to get it going again.

Hence my advice to you to ensure that your computer is in good order and that everything is backed-up so that you can return to your current system if necessary.

Incidentally, I had a time machine backup but it didn't work. I scan my machine daily for malware and maintenance problems and I follow instructions to the letter.

If you do upgrade, I wish you well with it and would be interested in hearing how it worked out.

Take care. Stay safe.

Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and upgraded to Mac OS Monterey and I am very pleased that I did, everything works ok.

I have just found out that I can't access my TV through the HDMI I could before the upgrade has anybody had the same problem and how did you fix it, please?

Ask a Question