Trying to click various places and insert text using sys event / keystroke, but keystroke doesnt happen when it should

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am trying to automate a small task in Safari using various clicks with delay, and inserting text using sys event keystroke, but for some reason the keystroke happens at a later time and the order doesnt make sense.

Here is a super cut version of what I'm trying to do:

tell application "System Events"
click at {2100,200}
end tell

delay 1

keystroke "carrier ineligible"
end tell

delay 1

click at {1800,200}
end tell
However it basically clicks the one place, then the other, and keystrokes in the wrong place as a result. I can only seem to get a single keystroke to work, so long as there is nothing happening afterward.

I want it to click A area, B area C area, enter text at C area, click D area, E area, F area, enter text at F area, click G area H area etc.

Even though the script is written as "click A area, enter text ar A area, click B area", it executes as "click A area, click B area, enter text on click B area"

But why does lack of order happen? Its like click events take priority no matter how the order its written.

P.S. I actually dont have direct access to AppleScript, I am using an app called TextExpander which has accessibility access and I can still create Apple Scripts, I just have to call it with a keyboard shortcut. This shouldnt affect the ability of AS at all. I am able to use sys events and all that. Its a work computer. I'm basically just trying to automate a small work task which comes up very very frequently. It would save me like an hour over the day.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I have very little experience with Automator/AppleScript. Another member may chime in, or you can try the folks over at MacScripter, as they may be able to help.

C

Ask a Question