several issues with my MacBook..

Reaction score
I have a MacBook that's about 5-6 years old now...recently I've started having several problems with it. One is the battery...it seems that I cannot run the laptop off the battery anymore. It used to be that I couldn't play any video or Skype when it was running off only the battery, or it would shut off, but it has gotten progressively worse and in the past couple weeks I have not been able to even run it at all off the battery. I boot it up, and within 5 minutes it will shut off, even if the battery is fully charged. Is this something that can be fixed? If not, it's not such a big deal..I'm more worried about the second problem..

The other thing that has begun very recently is the computer randomly making loud whirrling noises. It's not the fan...it is coming from within the computer, possibly the hard drive/disk? It doesn't do this all the time, only every now and then, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. It'll happen sometimes when the computer is just sitting there, even if I'm not doing anything on it. Any ideas of what the problem is? Maybe the computer is just getting old...I do use it pretty heavily, and I travel a lot so I'm constantly taking it places and moving it around..not sure if that contributes to wear and tear at all. But if I can help it, I'd like to avoid getting a new computer...I can't afford a new Mac right now and there is no way in hell I'm ever going back to a PC :) My MacBook has served me well with no problems at all until now. I don't know much about computers so I just want to know what this could be and if it's something that could potentially be fixed. Thanks!

Ask a Question