Secure empty trash?

Reaction score
MacOS used to have a "secure empty trash" feature where trash would be erased and overwritten with zeroes repeatedly. I sure can't find that in Monterey. Can someone point me to it? In fact, I can't locate it in High Sierra either. Lots of very recent instructions (suggesting recent operating systems?) how to do it, with CMD, right click, etc., and none of them work for me, which is kind of maddening.

Reaction score
"The secure empty trash feature used to be available on OS X Yosemite and earlier. But since El Capitan, Apple has cut the feature because it is can not work on flash storage, such as SSD (which is adopted by Apple to its new Mac/MacBook models.) Therefore, if your Mac/MacBook are running on El Capitan or later, you'll need other ways to empty the Trash securely."

Reaction score
So I suspected. Lot of people out there who, in recent posts, give old defunct instructions for doing it. But why can't it work on flash storage? (Aside from the fact it'll reduce flash storage lifetime.)

So how does one do it with flash storage? I hear that you can do it in Disk Utility, by selecting Erase, and in Security Options specifying how secure you want the erasure to be. But that doesn't work for the boot disk.You can't select erase for that.

I guess one can always do srm -rv ~/.Trash, but I gather that does not work with flash storage.

Last edited:

Ask a Question