Second-hand Mac

Reaction score
Inherited my mother's Mac OS X Snow Leopard and want to make it mine. I have deleted some of her folders and now cannot access my accounts on Facebook, GMail and Skype (passwords not recognized). I'm hunting frantically but just realized I do not have the original installation disks. Am I totally hosed? Please help!

Reaction score
I have deleted some of her folders and now cannot access my accounts on Facebook, GMail and Skype (passwords not recognized).
Not sure what you were deleting maybe your keychain items but I would set up my own User Account
Apple Menu > System Preferences > Accounts
Click on + to Add New Account
Choose Login Options to set up it to Start up in that User if you wish

Reaction score
darock, you rock! Your how-to was very clear, step by step, easy to do. I'm in! Thank you.

Reaction score
Sometime you may also wish to delete your mothers account to freeup whatever diskspace that is taking. System Preference > Accounts > and click the little minus. It will give you options and require confirmation. Obviously backup anything you don't wish to delete.

You should also setup a separate Admin account and ensure you're working in a standard account.
Safety First.

Reaction score
Kaveman, many thanks for the kind suggestion to take this to the next step. I did set up an admin account for myself, but I don't know how to ensure that I'm working in a standard account? I haven't deleted mom's account yet...living in fear and trepidation!

Reaction score
Don't worry about deleting that account yet.

Just get your new account all setup how you need it. Get your Gmail, skype and Facebook all setup.

If its an admin account just be very careful if something asks to install something. It will ask you for an administrators password, that is the time to consider the question, why am I being asked for this, whats going on here? You can change this at a later time, once you're feeling more at home.

no need for fear or trepidation Macs love their users and it will try very hard to protect you for doing the wrong things. Just take the time to read the dialogues and you'll be fine.

karazelle

Reaction score
I attached a screenshot of how you can configure things to be best practice.

My user account, monia, is as you see not checked for "Allow user to administer this computer" whereas my "LocalAdmin" account is. For day to day tasks be logged in as your normal account. When you get an admin prompt, all you need to do is enter the name and password of the admin account and just that process will be allowed. :eek:

Attachments

• AdminOrNot.jpg
    AdminOrNot.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 240

Ask a Question