Safari preferences cannot be set

Reaction score
I've had problems with google as my homepage in the past. Now, I cannot even set a homepage under preferences. Instead, safari opens with yahoo. Even when I click to open google, it goes through yahoo.
Is it possible I have a virus??
Please help me!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of Safari?
-Do you have any Safari Extensions installed?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory!
High Sierra 10.13.6
Safari 13.0.1
I have no extensions

Recently, I've been seeing "search.serachpulse.net" when I open a new window. It usually comes up with yahoo or bing. I still cannot select a homepage from safari preferences, or new window or new tab.
Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hi again Cory,
Sorry, I misspelled the url. It is "Not secure - search.searchpulse.net."
I still cannot change homepage settings in Safari preferences. I have restarted my computer.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Cory, please help! I am stuck with yahoo as my primary search engine, even though I designate google in search preferences. I still cannot choose homepage or 'open windows or tabs in' in preferences. Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, there may be a rogue profile installed that is causing it. Check in System Preferences... > Profiles. If you can see the Profiles icon, then see what is in there and let us know.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, I am preparing to run Combo Cleaner right now. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks for the tips. Nancy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...you didn't need to download and run Combo Cleaner. I wouldn't run it until you try the other steps first.

C

Reaction score
Aarrgh! I downloaded it, ran the virus scan, found 6 files that were malware; they charged me $45 for 6 mo to remove the files. I also cleaned out duplicate files and some privacy things (like history and cookies). Now, I cannot connect to the internet. I can change my prefernces, but no matter what I do, can’t connect. Help...again, please!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that is why I wanted you to try the other steps in that article. Now you should remove Combo Cleaner, even though you paid for it.

Look for Profiles in System Preferences and try Malwarebytes for Mac. It is the best malware app, and can be used as a free version without paying.

C

Reaction score
Yes, that is why I wanted you to try the other steps in that article. Now you should remove Combo Cleaner, even though you paid for it.

Look for Profiles in System Preferences and try Malwarebytes for Mac. It is the best malware app, and can be used as a free version without paying.

C
HI Cory, I was able to find the malware and get rid of yahoo and searchpulse.net with the help of the Mac helpline. I also got a refund from ComboCleaner. Now, I would like to install malwarebytes, but I have no "profile" in my system preferences. I looked for it on the App Store, and cannot find it. Thanks again for your help.
Nancy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Glad it is gone! Also, I am glad you got a refund on Combo Cleaner.

The profiles I mentioned could have been causing the issue. If you don't see Profiles in System Preferences, that is a good thing. They are not needed for Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes for Mac

You can download and install from the link above. You don't need to purchase it, you can just use the free version.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, thanks again for all your help. Malwarebytes is installed on Mac and iPhone, and I’ll run it weekly! Your service is superb!! Nancy

Ask a Question