Safari bookmarks ultra-slow

Reaction score
Since installing Safari 3 I'm finding that it takes forever to access my bookmarks menu: 4 minutes to be exact, while the beachball spins and I twiddle my thumbs. This didn't happen with Safari 2, where 'Show all bookmarks' opened immediately. Admittedly, I have a lot of bookmarks, but surely this shouldn't be happening. Any ideas?
--Richard

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You could try repairing Permissions using Disc Utility, found in Applications ~> Utilities ... BTW what are your Mac specs and OS version?

Another thing to try is to quit Safari then remove Safari's plist file to the Desktop, and then relaunch Safari and test it out again.

YourUserAccount ~> Library ~> Preferences ~> com.apple.safari.plist​

When you relaunch Safari, a new plist will be generated and if your Bookmarks are showing faster, then it's safe to delete the com.apple.safari.plist you relocated to your Desktop.

Reaction score
Thanks. Have now tried removing the plist but it makes no diference. I repair permissions fairly regularly anyway. Grrr.

I see that in the Apple forums quite a few people are having problems with Safari 3 and asking how they can downgrade to v2.

I'm running Tiger on an emac btw.

--R

Ask a Question