Rose up there in major surprise

Reaction score
Justin Rose caused a major surprise when he returned a first round 69 to nestle just one shot behind the leaders after the PING G15 Fairway Wood opening salvos of the US PGA Championship at Hazeltine National in Minnesota.

But it was no surprise for the Hampshire PING G10 Fairway Wood youngster who said he felt no nerves on the first tee in his US major debut alongside Brad Faxon and Stuart Appleby.

"Once I’d practised and got my swing thoughts for the day sorted out I felt no nerves," he said, even though the event had been held up for three hours while a PING Rapture V2 Fairway Wood lightning storm passed through. Many of his family, including his dad Ken who is recovering from a cancer scare, followed him outside the ropes.

His confidence oozed as he carded a Discount Golf three under par score to sit just behind first round leaders Jim Furyk and Fred Funk.

Ask a Question