retainer clips loose on keyboard

Reaction score
I've been searching the internet looking for an answer to this one.

My z and x key were sticking. I removed them to clean out what was underneath, as I had with my shift buttons and command buttons previously with no problem.

I put the retainer back in the base and noticed it was loose. I pulled off another key to compare, but nothing seemed wrong with it. The retainer clip is undamaged, but it sitting too 'long' in the base. When I put the retainer back in, it didn't snap into place, it just fell and sat there and felt loose.

If pushed at the wrong angle, the entire key slides out and falls off.

I have no idea what this happening. The keys feel loose, even now. It's an old aluminium long wired keyboard.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm a pensioner, I'd sooner not have to pay for a new keyboard for the sake of a couple of frustrating keys, but it's driving me to distraction.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
First off, unless you have already done this, I would examine the underside of the keys and all connecting bit to ensure that nothing has broken off as the clips are minute ... also just double-check that you have the mechanism just the right way too ... the part that looks like a single deck-chair folded ... it connects the key to the keyboard ... I realise you've been scouring the net for info but did you just do it all yourself, or have you followed an online guide such as this one?

Reaction score
First off, unless you have already done this, I would examine the underside of the keys and all connecting bit to ensure that nothing has broken off as the clips are minute ... also just double-check that you have the mechanism just the right way too ... the part that looks like a single deck-chair folded ... it connects the key to the keyboard ... I realise you've been scouring the net for info but did you just do it all yourself, or have you followed an online guide such as this one?

I've checked the clips, they're fine. I compared them to each other and another clip from a working key. I followed that guide specifically. The clip and the key are attaching just fine. It's the clip and the board itself that is slipping loose.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
This part I don't get because if the clips are fine ...

When I put the retainer back in, it didn't snap into place, it just fell and sat there and felt loose

.... I don't know what could be causing your problem

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of that would cause it to slip is if the plastic scissor mechanism isn't sitting properly in place OR you might accidentally have reversed it as If I remember correctly it only goes in one way ... also is the metal pin still attached to the underside of the key?

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of that would cause it to slip is if the plastic scissor mechanism isn't sitting properly in place OR you might accidentally have reversed it as If I remember correctly it only goes in one way ... also is the metal pin still attached to the underside of the key?

It isn't reversed. There's no metal pin under the alpha keys, just the plastic retainer clip.

It fits into place just fine. But it doesn't 'click' in. I put the bottom piece in, slide it up and hook it up over the top hooks, but it sits loose. Like the clip is just a little too long to match the metal hooks on top and bottom.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I just popped off the x key to look at the scissor mechanism ... if the key was snug prior to the sticking and when you popped it off to clean the only problem is with putting it back in place then you must be missing something. Which key is it exactly?

Reaction score
I just popped off the x key to look at the scissor mechanism ... if the key was snug prior to the sticking and when you popped it off to clean the only problem is with putting it back in place then you must be missing something. Which key is it exactly?

The x key. And the z key. And since then, the c key has come loose, which is the one I took off to compare if there was something wrong or I was doing something wrong.

Basically? If I tap the bottom of the x key, the top half pops up and off. The little metal hooks aren't gripping the plastic. I think.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Can you upload a photo (as close up as possible) of the keyboard showing the scissor mechanism in place without the key attached to it?

I'm groping around in the dark, otherwise ..... Did you remove the scissor mechanism during the clean up?

Reaction score
Can you upload a photo (as close up as possible) of the keyboard showing the scissor mechanism in place without the key attached to it?

I'm groping around in the dark, otherwise ..... it sounds to me either something is worn or broken or you've missed something ... it happens.

I will in the morning, when there's sunlight. It's starting to press 11 pm here and I can't get any decent light. Thank you for all your help so far. I'll be back in my morning to get photos.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You are in my neck of the woods then .... I'll stick with you until we get this sorted but I'm going to have to see what you are seeing ... tomorrow, then ... :)

Reaction score
You are in my neck of the woods then .... I'll stick with you until we get this sorted but I'm going to have to see what you are seeing ... tomorrow, then ... :)

Right, I took a series of photos and I hope these help.

P9300038.jpg

This is what happens if the bottom of the key is tapped.

P9300033.jpg

The whole key comes out.

P9300035.jpg

The clip stays attached to the key cap and has to be popped off to set back in the board.

P9300036.jpg

So, while it's resting back in here, the top two clips aren't gripping it firmly. I can't pop it in and out, there's no tension in the clip to do so.

Hope these are of some help explaining what's going on.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Okay, great job with the photos!

I've had a look and then popped my X key off to compare.

Have a look at the scissor mechanism in my shot and then see if you have it sitting exactly the same way ... if you still can't get the key to click properly ... make sure the X key isn't upside down as that's a possibility and you're going to have to upload a picture of the underneath of the X key without the mechanism attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 10.23.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 10.23.48 AM.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 832
Reaction score
Okay, great job with the photos!

I've had a look and then popped my X key off to compare.

Have a look at the scissor mechanism in my shot and then see if you have it sitting exactly the same way ... if you still can't get the key to click properly ... make sure the X key isn't upside down as that's a possibility and you're going to have to upload a picture of the underneath of the X key without the mechanism attached.

Mine doesn't look exactly the same. But I have double checked that everything is the right way (it won't go in the other way).

I think I'm going to go to the service centre and ask for advice. And if they tell me to get a new one, I'll just live with it.

Thank you for all your help.

Ask a Question