Removing Attachments

Reaction score
I'm using Mountain Lion and Apple Mail. When I send or receive an email with an attachment, I know how to save the attachments.

Question: if I want to put the email in a mail folder without the attachment, how can I remove the attachment?

If I highlight just the attachment and enter the Delete key, it deletes the entire email.

Much thanx.

Reaction score
The Email came with the Attachment, you can't edit received emails. You could forward it to yourself, that will strip the attachment.

The Attachments are stored in the Library > Mail Downloads folder, you could delete them from there, but Mail might not be happy about it.

Reaction score
"Mail might not be happy about it" sounds ominous...I found the Mail Download folder...but I didn't have the courage to delete the files...

What's likely to happen if I delete them?

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't know, I don't go messing with it, but if I've lost an Attachment I come here to get another copy.

Mail maintains a database, if this has links to files and data about the files in here and them can't locate them, it could upset the database.

Why do you want to remove them?

Reaction score
I don't know...it may be a hangover from the days when hard drives were much smaller and clutter was actually a serious problem.

Thanx for your help - it's always much appreciated.

Reaction score
Did you ever wind up deleting files from Mail Attachments?

I'm really thinking about removing all mail attachments myself to free a LOT of hard disk space—but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

Ask a Question