reformatting question

Reaction score
Hi -- I'm looking to reformat my wife's macbook. She bought it back in 2009.

My main concern is her iphoto albums. What do I need to do to make sure I can put her photos back on afterwards and have them be in the same albums on Iphoto?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
First, what Mac OS are you using?

Secondly, are you making backups to an external device? The answer to this question will allow us to help you more.

Reaction score
First, what Mac OS are you using?

Secondly, are you making backups to an external device? The answer to this question will allow us to help you more.

Thanks for the reply -- we are running el capitan, but it's really lagging, so i am looking to reformat.

We have time machine backups, if that's what you mean.

Thanks,

--Aaron

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Before you reformat, there are a few things that could be slowing things down:

-How much RAM is installed?
-How much free space is left on the hard drive?
-How many photos are in your iPhoto/Photos Library?
-Try checking the box next to  > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display > Reduce transparency
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed?
-Do you have any antivirus apps installed/running?
-Are you running any older versions of app such as Microsoft Office 2008/2011, etc?
-Do you have Adobe Flash and/or Oracle Java installed?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Before you reformat, there are a few things that could be slowing things down:

-How much RAM is installed?
-How much free space is left on the hard drive?
-How many photos are in your iPhoto/Photos Library?
-Try checking the box next to  > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display > Reduce transparency
-Do you have any third-party utilities like MacKeeper or CleanMyMac installed?
-Do you have any antivirus apps installed/running?
-Are you running any older versions of app such as Microsoft Office 2008/2011, etc?
-Do you have Adobe Flash and/or Oracle Java installed?

C

To answer your questions:

- 2 GB of RAM
- 68GB are free out of 250 on the hard drive
- Photos take up 39GB of the hard drive
- I do not have any third party utilities like mackeeper or cleanmymac. Would you recommend one of these?
- No antivirus installed.
- the MS office we're running isn't that old
- Adobe flash is installed, Oracle Java is not.

Thanks,

Aaron

Reaction score
2 GB of RAM is low for trying to run El Capitan. Yes, it will run, but definitely slowly.

Also, is it Office 2011 you are using? It is now up to version 14.6.4. What version are you using?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information

-As honestone mentioned, 2 GB of RAM isn't ideal for El Capitan, but it will work.
-No, we do not recommend MacKeeper or CleanMyMac. They do more harm than good.
-Try checking the box next to  > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display > Reduce transparency. This will help with the graphics performance across the system.

If you could expand upon when you are experiencing slowness, we can go from there. I don't think a reformat and reinstallation of El Capitan will speed things up.

C

Reaction score
Then of course there is the speed of the internal HD (along, of course, with the lack of maintenance on it). If it is a "standard" 5400 rpm drive, that also will run slower.

If you could let us know the exact model of your macbook, we can point you to a site that will show 1) how to upgrade the RAM (assuming it can be upgraded), and 2) how to install a faster drive/SSD (again, if that's possible). All of that would definitely help, and maybe not cost much.

Reaction score
Then of course there is the speed of the internal HD (along, of course, with the lack of maintenance on it). If it is a "standard" 5400 rpm drive, that also will run slower.

If you could let us know the exact model of your macbook, we can point you to a site that will show 1) how to upgrade the RAM (assuming it can be upgraded), and 2) how to install a faster drive/SSD (again, if that's possible). All of that would definitely help, and maybe not cost much.

To try and answer all of the questions here -- i'm running office 14.4.7 (got the number off of excel)

it's a mac book 6,1 (model identifier), and appears that we purchased in late 2009.

would love to know if the RAM can be upgraded in this, and also how to do that, where to buy it, and also how to install a faster hard drive.

appreciate all of the help from everyone! thank you!

--aaron

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information

-As honestone mentioned, 2 GB of RAM isn't ideal for El Capitan, but it will work.
-No, we do not recommend MacKeeper or CleanMyMac. They do more harm than good.
-Try checking the box next to  > System Preferences... > Accessibility > Display > Reduce transparency. This will help with the graphics performance across the system.

If you could expand upon when you are experiencing slowness, we can go from there. I don't think a reformat and reinstallation of El Capitan will speed things up.

C

also, it's general slowness when doing anything, lots of spinning and spinning.

Reaction score
To try and answer all of the questions here -- i'm running office 14.4.7 (got the number off of excel)

it's a mac book 6,1 (model identifier), and appears that we purchased in late 2009.

would love to know if the RAM can be upgraded in this, and also how to do that, where to buy it, and also how to install a faster hard drive.

appreciate all of the help from everyone! thank you!

--aaron

OK, first, you are WAY behind regarding Office 2011. Here is where you can get the latest version, V 14.6.4:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52206HUGE improvement!

Secondly, you can upgrade both the RAM (to 8 Gig), and the hard drive. Here are the specs of the original macbook 6.1:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...13-polycarbonate-unibody-late-2009-specs.html

I suspect it came with the slow, 5400 rpm 250 gig drive. This site has the various things/upgrades you can do to that Mac:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Unibody_Model_A1342

This link also states that you can install an SSD inside the machine:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...nibody-how-to-upgrade-replace-hard-drive.html

Putting in more RAM, and upgrading to an SSD, will definitely be a HUGE improvement!

Reaction score
OK, first, you are WAY behind regarding Office 2011. Here is where you can get the latest version, V 14.6.4:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52206HUGE improvement!

Secondly, you can upgrade both the RAM (to 8 Gig), and the hard drive. Here are the specs of the original macbook 6.1:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...13-polycarbonate-unibody-late-2009-specs.html

I suspect it came with the slow, 5400 rpm 250 gig drive. This site has the various things/upgrades you can do to that Mac:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Unibody_Model_A1342

This link also states that you can install an SSD inside the machine:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...nibody-how-to-upgrade-replace-hard-drive.html

Putting in more RAM, and upgrading to an SSD, will definitely be a HUGE improvement!

Fantastic -- thank you for the great detail here. Looks like the cost of the RAM and the hard drive won't be too much either.

With regards to the new hard drive -- should it be as simple as doing a time machine back up on my external hard drive -- installing the new hard drive on the mac, and then putting that backup on the new hard drive?

Thanks!

--Aaron

Reaction score
I use SuperDuper! for my backups, and I know the procedure for doing what you want to do. But, for the method that you propose, I'm unsure how you would boot your "system" to accomplish what you are after, as Time Machine backups are not bootable (SuperDuper! backups are (Carbon Copy Cloner is another similar product)).

If you plan on using the "old" internal hard drive (and thus you would need to purchase an external case (they are not expensive), if you plan on installing a brand new hard drive (not SSD), you could do the following:

1. Install the new HDD inside the new external case.

2. Connect it to your Mac, and then use Disk Utility to Erase, Format, and if necessary, partition that new drive.

3. Assuming you have the file "Install OS X El Capitan", launch it, and install El Capitan on that new external drive (or the appropriate partition).

4. Once that installation completes, you'll be able to "migrate"/copy the stuff from your Time Machine backup on your other external drive to the new one containing El Capitan.

5. Finally, test all this by re-booting your Mac from that just-created external partition containing El Capitan and all your stuff.

There are 3 "caveats" with this:

1. If you don't have the file "Install OS X El Capitan", you should be able to re-download it from the App Store (that also should give you the latest version, 10.11.5).

2. You have two USB 2.0 ports on your Mac, and thus the speed of all this transferring via the USB connection will be slow.

3. If you are using one of the USB 2.0 ports already for, say, your mouse, that will be somewhat of a challenge. (You could purchase an inexpensive USB 3.0 "hub" to alleviate that).

If instead you decide to go the SSD route, then you would need to purchase a slim, external case to install the SSD inside of, and proceed as above. But, then you would not have another external case for your old internal drive (unless you purchase one).

In any event, once all that is done, you would need to shut down your Mac, open it up, remove the old internal drive, and install the new drive (HDD or SSD).

Reaction score
I use SuperDuper! for my backups, and I know the procedure for doing what you want to do. But, for the method that you propose, I'm unsure how you would boot your "system" to accomplish what you are after, as Time Machine backups are not bootable (SuperDuper! backups are (Carbon Copy Cloner is another similar product)).

If you plan on using the "old" internal hard drive (and thus you would need to purchase an external case (they are not expensive), if you plan on installing a brand new hard drive (not SSD), you could do the following:

1. Install the new HDD inside the new external case.

2. Connect it to your Mac, and then use Disk Utility to Erase, Format, and if necessary, partition that new drive.

3. Assuming you have the file "Install OS X El Capitan", launch it, and install El Capitan on that new external drive (or the appropriate partition).

4. Once that installation completes, you'll be able to "migrate"/copy the stuff from your Time Machine backup on your other external drive to the new one containing El Capitan.

5. Finally, test all this by re-booting your Mac from that just-created external partition containing El Capitan and all your stuff.

There are 3 "caveats" with this:

1. If you don't have the file "Install OS X El Capitan", you should be able to re-download it from the App Store (that also should give you the latest version, 10.11.5).

2. You have two USB 2.0 ports on your Mac, and thus the speed of all this transferring via the USB connection will be slow.

3. If you are using one of the USB 2.0 ports already for, say, your mouse, that will be somewhat of a challenge. (You could purchase an inexpensive USB 3.0 "hub" to alleviate that).

If instead you decide to go the SSD route, then you would need to purchase a slim, external case to install the SSD inside of, and proceed as above. But, then you would not have another external case for your old internal drive (unless you purchase one).

In any event, once all that is done, you would need to shut down your Mac, open it up, remove the old internal drive, and install the new drive (HDD or SSD).

Does this mean if i I get superduper and do a backup, it would be easier to replace the drive?

i've ordered the 8gb of RAM -- going to try that first and see if that speeds things up. Looking into the hard drive next.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Does this mean if i I get superduper and do a backup, it would be easier to replace the drive?

i've ordered the 8gb of RAM -- going to try that first and see if that speeds things up. Looking into the hard drive next.

Thanks!

Yes, that would be easier. What you will need to do is the following (assuming you do not need anything "old" from your Time Machine backups):

1. Purchase and install SuperDuper! on your internal drive. This link discusses that excellent program:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

2. Clean off as much unneeded stuff from your internal hard drive. A tool that you can use to augment that is Onyx, an excellent free program. You can get it from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Given that you are using El Capitan, you must get the first version on that list, V 3.1.6.

3. Make sure you have the file "Install OS X El Capitan" on your internal drive. In fact, make a copy of it, and place it in another location on your internal drive.

4. Run Disk Utility and Erase and Format your current external drive. Note that this will erase all your Time Machine backups.

5. Run SuperDuper! to backup/clone everything on your internal drive onto the external drive. This will make a bootable backup.

6. Shut down your machine, remove the old internal drive, and install the new HDD/SSD.

7. Restart your machine from the SuperDuper!, bootable backup/clone you made in step 5 above.

8. Launch Disk Utility from the backup, and Erase and Format your new HDD/SSD inside your Mac.

9. Launch the file "Install OS X El Capitan" from the backup, and install a fresh, pristine, "virgin" version on El Capitan on your new internal HDD/SDD. At the end of that installation, the SetUp Assistant software will automatically start to run. You can answer the first two question it poses, and skip the third one. You will then be offered the opportunity to "migrate"/copy all the needed "stuff" from the SuperSuper! backup to the internal drive on your Mac. Select that, an dlet it complete.

10. Restart your Mac from the new internal HDD/SDD,and you'll be in business.

This process will 1) create the (hidden) Recovery HD partition for you, and 2) transfer all your settings/preferences, etc. from your "old" environment (ie, what was on your old internal drive).

The final decision left for you is what you want to do with your old, 250 gig internal drive. If I were you, I'd purchase an external case, and install it inside there.

Reaction score
There is a "modified", more "safe" way you can do this. Here is what you can do:

1. When you purchase the new HDD/SDD, purchase the applicable external case. I believe the HDD currently inside your Mac is 2.5" in height, so an external 2.5" H external case would be perfect for either the HDD or SSD.

2. Purchase and install SuperDuper! on your internal drive. This link discusses that excellent program:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

3. Clean off as much unneeded stuff from your internal hard drive. A tool that you can use to augment that is Onyx, an excellent free program. You can get it from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Given that you are using El Capitan, you must get the first version on that list, V 3.1.6.

4. Make sure you have the file "Install OS X El Capitan" on your internal drive. In fact, make a copy of it, and place it in another location on your internal drive.

5. Run Disk Utility and Erase and Format your new external drive.

6. Run SuperDuper! to backup/clone everything on your internal drive onto the new external drive. This will make a bootable backup.

7. To confirm this works, re-start your Mac from that new external drive. Hopefully, all is good!

8. Shut down your machine, remove the old internal drive, and install the new HDD/SSD.

9. Restart your Mac from the new internal HDD/SDD,and you'll be in business.

Note that via this method, you still have your Time Machine backups on your old external drive. Also, you can install your old internal drive inside the new, empty external case, and use it for various purposes.

The one caveat with this is that you will not have the (hidden) Recovery HD partition on the new internal system. But, as long as you have the file "Install OS X El Capitan", it can be easily re-created.

Reaction score
appreciate all of the help here -- just upgraded from 2GB to 8GB to ram today. super easy.

Computer is working much better -- not lagging at all now.

Question I have is -- how much quicker would it be if I installed a SSD in place of the current hard drive?

Looks like you've given me great instructions on how to do it, just want to make sure I'll see some benefit.

Also, are there certain ones you'd recommend purchasing that would work with this model macbook?

thanks again,

--Aaron

Reaction score
Glad the RAM upgrade helped. That is typically a wise move.

Given that you have a slow, 5400 rpm hard drive, an SSD will make a HUGE difference! Shortly after I got my late 2012 Core i& Mac Mini, I replaced its slow, 5400 rpm, 1 TB internal hard drive with a 256 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and the difference in performance was amazing!

This drive will be an excellent choice:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U

Also, you will be able to install your internal drive inside a nice, slim external case. That's what I did with the 1 TB 5400 rpm drive from my Mac Mini. It definitely comes in handy when we travel.

Reaction score
Glad the RAM upgrade helped. That is typically a wise move.

Given that you have a slow, 5400 rpm hard drive, an SSD will make a HUGE difference! Shortly after I got my late 2012 Core i& Mac Mini, I replaced its slow, 5400 rpm, 1 TB internal hard drive with a 256 gig Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and the difference in performance was amazing!

This drive will be an excellent choice:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U

Also, you will be able to install your internal drive inside a nice, slim external case. That's what I did with the 1 TB 5400 rpm drive from my Mac Mini. It definitely comes in handy when we travel.

looks good -- thanks for the suggestion -- that is likely going to be the project in a month or so -- getting this drive and getting it into the mac.

thanks again!

Reaction score
looks good -- thanks for the suggestion -- that is likely going to be the project in a month or so -- getting this drive and getting it into the mac.

thanks again!

Sounds good! When you decide to start on this, when you purchase the slim, external case that you can (initially) place the SSD in, you will be able to use that case to house your current internal drive when you have completed the steps I outlined above in post #16.

Ask a Question