Red light on Xserve Raid

Reaction score
Hi: I have an older G5 with a 2.5tb Xserve Raid. It's been flawless for years. Thunderstorm last night seemed to get past the UPS and shut the system off for a sec. When I powered back up, an alarm was sounding on the front of the raid, and a red light was on. It's all working fine, but this light is still on. when I opened of Raid Admin, it says "Connection failure, and that's as far as I can get. Any idea how I can get this straightened out? I live in a small town with little Mac support, especially on older Macs.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X?
-Do the drives mount on your G5?
-Are you connecting using Ethernet or do you have a fibre channel card in your G5?
-Which light on the Xserve RAID is red - power/cooling/temperature/controller?

C

Reaction score
I am running OS 10.4.11
The drives do mount on the G5
I am connecting to the Xraid via fiber channel card.
The read light is the first one on the left of the four; looks like power. See attached pic

Attachments

• Xraid pic.jpg
    Xraid pic.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 1,121

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that red light means the left power supply has failed, probably due to the power outage. The right module will supply power for the entire unit, but the failed module does need replacement. If you don't replace it, you run the risk of the hard drive modules overheating, due to the reduced power supply capabilities.

It may be difficult to find a replacement, but I am sure you can source one from somewhere online like eBay, or an Apple parts company like We Love Macs.

C

Ask a Question