Red Jack-in-the-Box icons in AppleWorks "Save as" box- A problem???

Reaction score
Hi! - I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. I really don't want the hassle of a virus or worm.

I was emailed an MSWord attachment and I left-clicked it to get the "Open with" option. In the AppleWorks6 SAVE AS box there were red Jack-in-the-Box icons (rather than the usual AW doc icons) next to the SAVE-AS-DOC and SAVE-AS-TEMPLATE buttons. I thought of copying the Word doc to my Desktop to see if the red icons appeared when I opened it from there, but I didn't want to take the chance of letting in something nasty.

Does this icon change indicate a problem? Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Gerry

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Gerry and welcome,

Can you give us a screen grab ?

It wasn't this little fellow was it ?

resedit001.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for you reply, Ric!

That is the very icon that you have posted (except it is outlined by a dog-eared document icon that cuts the little Mac off just below the screen)! What does it mean?

Gerry

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Gerry apologies for the delay...

The icon above is from an old program called ResEdit...

It was your description that made me think of it...

I wouldn't of thought that it was anything nasty...

The only thing that i can think of is that 'the attachment' has the same creator code as ResEdit and that's why it is showing that icon...

The best way I can explain this... save a file in text edit to the Desktop then change the extension to .jpg and as you should see the icon changes...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi, Ric

Thanks for your reply.

I tried your suggestion/explanation about the extension, and the renamed file wouldn't open in any app. - - But I get what you said about the creator code, etc. I am no longer afraid of Jack-in-the-Boxes (at least not that one). ;) That "Jack…" icon just seemed a little too red and evil-looking when it first appeared unexpectedly. Thanks again for your help, and thanks for that OS X Security Alert you sent.

Regards,
Gerry

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Gerry, no problem and thanks for the thanks...

Could you post a screen grab then it may make it a bit clearer...if you want to send me the actual file thats fine (e-mail address removed)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,

I'll e-mail you the file. Here's the screen grab:

attachment.php

Thanks.

Gerry

Attachments

• Alt AW6 icons.jpg
    Alt AW6 icons.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 809

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks Gerry I have the email.

I shall try to investigate further tomorrow.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question