RAM Cards Won't Snap In

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It's hard to tell from the photo, but looks like it simply isn't seated all the way and/or snapped into place. It may not snap into place all the way if the bottom DIMM isn't properly seated first.

-Which exact model Mac?
-When it dropped, where are the impact point(s)?
-How much and where is the physical damage to the case?
-Are the levers broken at all? They don't look to be in the photo.
-Have you tried removing both DIMMs and reseating them? And.or/swapping them so the bottom is the top and top is the bottom?
-Are you having trouble with both DIMMs, or just the "top" one? If just the top, does it startup without it?

NOTE: Although it takes a little pressure to properly seat and snap in the DIMMs, be careful not to force them and break/damage the slots or levers.

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for caring!

I don't know why the specs don't automatically show any more, but it's a mid-2009 13.3" MacBook Pro. I didnt see how it landed. It doesn't seem to start with just one card.

The main problem is that the side pieces won't close in all the way, and I have tried all of that so far. I'm debating taking it to Best Buy or an Apple Store, but one may cost $100 and the other probably doesn't care about vintage machinery anymore. I'm afraid to use plyers.

Ugh, always something.

Sorry for the choppy response; I find it hard to type on an iPad.

Reaction score
Unnecessary Update Time™

The housing around the RAM got damaged—and apparently one of the RAM cards did as well. I would've had to replace the entire logic board in order to completely fix the housing.

One shop would've been $380 to replace the logic board. Another would've been $500+.

Advanced Micro Distributions Channel partially fixed the RAM housing so I can at least one 4GB card functioning—and it cost $70.

Ask a Question