RAM capacity

Reaction score
I am wondering how much RAM I can fit in my machine. Apple say the capacity is 2gigs, the machine has 4 bays for RAM. I have found 1gig cards that will fit and therefore I theoretically could fit 4gigs. But I am unsure if installing 4gigs would damage the computer in someway or if the extra 2gigs of RAM would not be recognised. Any clues would be gratefully received.

Power Mac G4(MDD 2003), CPU: 1.25GHz, RAM: 786MB

Reaction score
I found this Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184Pin DIMM PC2700 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL2.5 . It has the correct spec to phyically fit my machine. I am just wondering if it okay to use it.

Reaction score
Hi 2Socks,

It is up to you if you try fitting a 1GB stick into one bank - but, imho, it will either not recognise it, or give you problems.

As Cory mentioned, you will need to get 512mb sticks as your Mac has 4 banks for the RAM and it can take a maximum of 2 Gbs.

Reaction score
Thanks, that was what i was concerned about. I think i'll stick to 4 banks of 512. Once again thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Even if it did accept it without issue, it would still only address and make available a maximum of 2 GB.

Best to simply go for four of the less expensive 512 MB sticks as Kyomii stated.

Ask a Question