Question: memory card problem

Reaction score
I have an older machine - a Power PC G5. The OS is 10.4.11. I can't update the OS beyond that because of hardware limitations. I recently bought a camera that is supposed to be compatible with Mac OS 10.4.11 (a Nikon). However, I wasn't able to download photos from it to my computer. So then I bought a memory card reader that plugs into the USB port, but that didn't work either. No icon appears on the desktop when the device is plugged in or when the camera is connected via cable.

Years ago, I was able to download photos with an older camera (a Canon), but after I upgraded my OS I was no longer able to do that. Now, with the final OS upgrade and a camera that is supposed to be compatible, I still can't download photos. Does anyone have any suggestions that might solve this problem? (other than the fact that I need a new computer!).

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What brand/model card reader did you buy?
-What model Nikon camera do you have?

C

Reaction score
Hello, Cory: it's a Dynex "7 in 1" memory card reader. I got it just yesterday from BestBuy. My camera is a Nikon D5100.

Reaction score
The Dynex box states "Mac OS 10.4 or higher" as a system requirement. The camera states 10.4.11 as a Mac OS system requirement, and it supports other releases as well.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Is the D5100 set to USB Mass Storage or PTP mode? Try PTP.

C

Reaction score
You know, I don't remember seeing anything about that in the manual that came with the camera. I'll have to check. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Not a problem.

You may not be able to change the connection mode within the camera, check the manual. You could try installing the latest version of Nikon software:

Included with camera
Nikon ViewNX 2 (includes Nikon Transfer 2)

Additional purchase
Nikon Capture NX 2
Nikon Camera Control Pro 2

Let us know how you are getting on,

C

Ask a Question