Proxies changing?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I posted this at the end of May but got no answer. On a regular basis, maybe once a week I seem to not be able to get to any website. I go to System Pref, Network, Advanced, Proxies, and lo and behold for no apparent reason the SOCKS box is checked!!! I did not do that . When I uncheck that box and hit ok and apply everything works ok for another week or so. What is going on? Why is SOCKS getting checked somewhat randomly? What can I do to stop this ?
Any help you can give would spare me from this crazy situation. When my computer checks the SOCKS box I cannot get to any website and that is my clue the box needs to be unchecked. Why? Thanks. my system specs are up to date.

Reaction score
It may be that some software is resetting this at startup or login.

Start your Mac in safe mode and check the setting, it should be off.

If you go to System Preferences->Users & Groups and remove all your login items, make a note of them first.
Restart, check if was turned on. If not then one of the login items was causing the problem

If not it could be a launch agent or daemon.
Running etrecheck may help you to hunt down the culprit.

Reaction score
Not sure I got the safe mode to work because when I looked at the mode it said "normal" not "safe" so not sure how to do that. However, after restart I immediately went to Pref, Network, Advanced and Proxies and sure enough, "SOCKS" box WAS checked!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Reaction score
OK, I read the reset/rebuild notes. Could not change location, only came up with "untitled" I don't know what to write in there so left it auto. As far as removing to trash the folder "system configuration", I dont have one !! Mine are named: "Sytsem Preferences", "Profiler", "Sound" and "UI Server". Not knowing which to trash, I am trashing none yet.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK.

Untitled is the new Network Location that is created when you click the + button. You can rename it whatever you want, then try to connect.

The System Configuration folder should be in Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences. Is that the path you looked in? Sounds like you might be in the wrong folder.

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
I go to Finder>Go>Go to folder> ~Library/Preferences....No "System Configuration" only the "System" folders I listed previously/

Reaction score
OK I tried changing network location to "untitled 2 " and did a restart but when I went to network>advanced>Proxies there it was again..."SOCKS" box checked.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...that is the hidden Library folder in your Home folder. Try the Go command without the (~) tilde:

/Library/Preferences

Sounds like a corrupted preference file in the System Configuration folder. It could also be some form of malware, as there have been some like AphroditeResultsP. You could try downloading and running Malwarebytes for Mac before deleting the System Configuration folder.

Have you ever run any form of VPN?

C

Reaction score
OK tried without the (~) and got this when I tried to take System Config. to trash; “SystemConfiguration” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by macOS.
So I could not trash it.
Never run VPN, guess I will have to buy Malwarebytes and try that.

Reaction score
I have cleanmymac and it is supposed to do a malware search and claims all is well. I think I am going to take this MacBook Pro into a local tech that I have used before for iPhone work. They are apple certified. I don't have a clue as to why Proxies change at every reboot and sometimes before that. I will ask them to tell me what may have caused this. I will post their results. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It may have something to do with a Login Item as Lufbrarunner suggested - maybe CleanMyMac, if it is launching at login. Any other Login Items?

Sounds like a good idea...sorry we couldn't get it solved for you. Sometimes it is tough to diagnose issues like this via the forum. Hopefully it is something simple.

I am definitely interested in what the solution is. Good luck, and let us know.

C

Reaction score
I bought CleanMyMac thinking it would resolve this issue. The issue came before the program. The issue manifests itself, ie changes proxies even without a reboot. Often within 2 weeks, I do not usually reboot that frequently. I will let you know when I find out.

Ask a Question