installing network proxies

Reaction score
am trying to get similar results to hola app. w/o changing browsers im not sure how to proceed, in another forum it was suggested that i use the following proxie in system preferences, net work, i tried it and not much happened. should the local be deleted ? im not sure how much control of sites the local network has then again i could be pissing in the wind, quite frankly im lost please see below and let me know what you think...persue
or abandon thanks.....d.
Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 5.28.38 PM copy.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

When using a proxy, you don;t need to delete *.local, 169.254/16 in the bypass section. That just tells the Mac to ignore the proxy when accessing "itself."

I am not familiar with the mediahint.com proxy...is there a specific need for you to use it?

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure what went wrong as it should not be to difficult to configure Media Hint proxy manually.
First thing is to open System Preferences / Network, select your internet connection, click Advanced / Proxies / Automatic Proxy Configuration and paste this URL:
https://mediahint.com/default.pac
Just as you did. Also remember that it is not possible to modify system proxy settings using current Safari extension API.

I would also create a new network location and use it just for Media Hint .
At the top of Network preference pane click Location / Edit Locations, then duplicate existing or create a new one and name it Media Hint.
That way you can easily switch between Automatic for normal browsing and Media Hint through menu / Location. Just a thought, please post back results.

I know that MediaHint uses secure servers to hide your physical location and IP address, but is the cost worth it just to see BBC iplayer and the like?

Last edited:
Reaction score
c
to access restricted networks its a vpn and since asking have received a great deal of negative reports coming back about mediahint and hola, so ill investigate other possibilities, am learning a great deal from this mistake....
thanks for your input
d.
Hello.

When using a proxy, you don;t need to delete *.local, 169.254/16 in the bypass section. That just tells the Mac to ignore the proxy when accessing "itself."

I am not familiar with the mediahint.com proxy...is there a specific need for you to use it?

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure what went wrong as it should not be to difficult to configure Media Hint proxy manually.
First thing is to open System Preferences / Network, select your internet connection, click Advanced / Proxies / Automatic Proxy Configuration and paste this URL:
https://mediahint.com/default.pac
Just as you did. Also remember that it is not possible to modify system proxy settings using current Safari extension API.

I would also create a new network location and use it just for Media Hint .
At the top of Network preference pane click Location / Edit Locations, then duplicate existing or create a new one and name it Media Hint.
That way you can easily switch between Automatic for normal browsing and Media Hint through menu / Location. Just a thought, please post back results.

I know that MediaHint uses secure servers to hide your physical location and IP address, but is the cost worth it just to see BBC iplayer and the like?

hey,
like the separation of locations, have scrubbed mediahint and the possibility of hola, too many negative responses, will be investigating other vpns and just not for entertainment... want a more secure transfer of data, being in india and having to contact usa frequently, just another firewall so to speak....if you know of any please let me know......thanks for your help
d.

Ask a Question