Problems with WD external hard drive.

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I installed a WD "My Passport for Mac" external hard drive and have been uploading files to it. The other day the computer had to shut down for an update and when the computer started up again the icon for this h/d was missing from the desktop and a panel appeared telling me the disk was not ejected properly. I went into disk utilities and "verified" the h/d and it worked, but every night my computer goes to sleep and in the morning I get the same warning panel about the disk not being ejected properly. I am using 10.9.5 operating system.
Can someone tell me how to solve this problem, thanks
As mentioned above I do have files on this h/d so I hope that they are not erased when correcting the problem.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There must be something up with the WD Passport, which is not letting it eject and power down when the Mac goes to sleep. I usually don't recommend putting Macs to sleep that are using bus-powered hard drives for that reason. Either eject and disconnect the WD when you aren't using it, or set the Mac's display to sleep, but not the computer.

C

Reaction score
Cory, the hard drive does not have a power cord nor transformer but a USB 3 cable. I told the sales person at Best Buy that my computer only has USB 2 ports. He said that shouldn't be a problem it will work okay. I'm wondering if he is wrong and that the problem is caused by the cable drawing too much power through the port to power the h/d.
What do you think?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It should not cause an issue...most USB 3.0 drives are USB 2.0 compatible. The WD Passport series is.

The issue just seems like the WD isn't unmounting properly/fast enough when the Mac goes into sleep mode.

C

Reaction score
Derek,

My 13" MacBook Air has only two USB ports on it (also a Thunderbolt port). For one of the USB ports, I have the little receiver for a Logitech mouse plugged in. For the other USB port, no matter which external hard drive I have had plugged in, I have never experienced the issue you are encountering. And, for each of the 3 External Hard drives I have had plugged in (2 of them have Seagate mechanisms, while the third was the Hitachi drive mechanism that was originally inside my Mac Mini), they are all USB 2.0. (The two with the Seagate mechanisms have their own power supply, but the Hitachi one gets its' power from the USB bus).

Western Digital drives are "somewhat" problematic with Macs, but I guess they work OK. Did you try plugging it into the other USB port?

Reaction score
Thanks Cory and honestone for your replies, its good to know USB 3 is not a problem. I have contacted Western Digital about the problem and if they cannot make any suggestions I will carry out both of your suggestions.

Reaction score
I think just trying another USB port would be an easy thing to do, and I suspect waiting for a reply from WD will not make much (if any) difference with that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As you suggested honestone on Sunday I switched ports and everything is working fine. Western digital did reply to my email and told me to reformat the h/d.
Thanks for your suggestion..

Ask a Question