Problems with newly installed SSD... help?!

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have installed a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD in my 2011 13-inch MacBook Pro. I have managed to load Yosemite onto the new SSD, however, I have run into a pretty significant problem.

First and foremost, the computer is running slowly. It's very comparable to my own hard drive (which was four years old) and it often freezes and restarts. I know that it is installed correctly and I followed a tutorial on how to create a bootable USB pretty closely. I think the reason why I am facing these problems is because of a strange issue with the storage space on my SSD.

When I was trying to download Microsoft Word my laptop notified me that I do not have enough space on the SSD. This was the first thing that I tried to download so it doesn't make sense that the SSD would be filled this quickly (I have attached a picture of what I see). It says that 240GB+ are being used in the "other" category.

Does anyone know what the issue may be or what is taking up so much space on the SSD? I have not downloaded anything so I am super confused as to why my storage is already at its capacity. I am willing to do anything to fix the issue (even if I have to wipe the SSD... I just don't know how to do that).

Thanks in advance for your help! :) Let me know if you need more details.
Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 11.39.13 AM.png

Reaction score
That certainly seems strange!

Not sure about this, but when you boot your machine from the bootable USB drive, is Disk Utility available there? If it is, and there is nothing you need on the SSD, have Disk Utility Erase, Format, and Partition the drive. (When you do the Erase, maybe you should, via the Security Options screen, move the slider over to the middle. It will take longer for the Erase to complete, but that might be needed). Make sure at that point that the amount of space is just about all the 250 gig capacity of the SSD.

Then, install Yosemite onto the SSD, and from there boot your Mac from the SSD. See what the space looks like. Also, if the version of Yosemite that you have is less than 10.10.5, you should upgrade to version 10.10.5. You can get the OS 10.10.5 Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1832?locale=en_US

If you need to do that, reboot your machine (now with OS 10.10.5), and see what the amount of space used looks like.

If everything looks good, start installing whatever applications you have one by one, and check for the amount of space left after each installation.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Also, what size was the original HD in your MBP? I came with the following sizes:

Standard Hard Drive
320GB
500GB
750GB

SSD
128GB
256GB
512GB

-How much free space was left on your original drive?
-Did you perform a migration of the apps/user data from your old HD to the new SSD after installing Yosemite?

C

Ask a Question