Problems setting up Mail accounts

Reaction score
Hi I ve just purchased a new Imac (totally new to macs) and am having trouble adding accounts to mail. ie when it comes to entering incoming mail server & outgoing server - I have no idea what this means or what they are - I am trying to add hotmail accounts (is this possible?) hope this makes sense

Regards
Steve:tongue:

Reaction score
Hi I ve just purchased a new Imac (totally new to macs) and am having trouble adding accounts to mail. ie when it comes to entering incoming mail server & outgoing server - I have no idea what this means or what they are - I am trying to add hotmail accounts (is this possible?) hope this makes sense

Regards
Steve:tongue:

Setting up your email accounts:
The first time you open Mail, it automatically sets up email accounts for you using the information from the .Mac pane of System Preferences and the Mail Setup Assistant. If no information is found, Mail guides you through the process of setting up a new account. You can create additional accounts at any time.

If you switch to Mail from another email application, you need to enter the account information from the other application in Mail. Before you begin, view the information in the other application, and write down the names of the incoming and outgoing mail servers, your account name and password, and whether it is a POP or IMAP account. If you have multiple accounts, get the information for each account.

To add an account:
Choose File > Add Account.
Choose your account type, such as POP or IMAP, from the Account Type pop-up menu and enter the information, based on your account type. If you aren't sure about some of the fields, check with your Internet service provider (ISP) or mail account provider.
General information: Enter a description of the account. The description is shown in the mailbox list. If you have multiple accounts, enter something that will help you distinguish this account from others, such as "Tom's work email." You must also specify the full name to be displayed in outgoing mail, such as Tom Clark, and the email address to use in the From field when you send messages. For a .Mac account, you must enter your .Mac user name and password.
Incoming Mail Server: Enter the server (typically a POP or IMAP server) where your email waits for you to retrieve it. For example, mail.example.com. Enter your user name and password for this mail server. If you specified an Exchange account, you must specify the Outlook Web Access Server.
Outgoing Mail Server: Enter the server (also known as an SMTP server) that sends your email to its destination, as provided by your ISP or account provider. For example, smtp.example.com or relay.example.com.
Further define the new account you have just created. Choose Mail > Preferences, click Accounts, and select the new account in the list.
In the Mailbox Behaviors pane, select options for storing and deleting drafts, sent mail, junk mail, and trash. The options are different for the different kinds of accounts.
In the Advanced pane, select options to enable the account, include the account when checking for new mail, to manage offline viewing, and other options.
A .Mac account is an IMAP account provided as part of Apple's .Mac services. To sign up for a .Mac account, open the .Mac pane of System Preferences and click Sign Up. You can also use a web browser to send and receive email with a .Mac account.

An Exchange account allows you to connect to your Exchange server via IMAP, and if you enter text in the Outlook Web Access Server field, Mail filters non-email related content from the server. (You can get the text you need to enter from your mail account provider.) For Exchange to work with Mail, Exchange administrators need to configure the Exchange server for IMAP access. Some system administrators may refer to an Outlook Web Access Server as an Internet Information Services (IIS) server.

For IMAP accounts, when you first connect to your mail server, all your mailboxes are automatically synchronized, so that the email messages on your computer are the same as those on the server.

To remove an account, select it in the account list and click the Delete (-) button.

Ask a Question