Problems publishing web page, podcast, etc.

Reaction score
I live in a beautiful, but very remote area of Northern New Mexico. Hi speed internet access is not possible, but I can travel some distance to a library where it is available. Ideally, what I want to do is publish a web page or podcast to a folder on my desk top so I can review it before going to the library, where my time is more limited. I keep experiencing 2 related problems when I try to have 2 web pages or podcasts going:

The first problem: If I have an existing web page and wish to do another, as soon as I open iweb I encounter my existing web page. When I go to publish my second web page to a folder so I can edit it, no matter how I name my folder, iweb publishes the original web page to this new folder. When I go to the new folder to edit my new page, all I can see is the original folder. Second problem: If I delete the first web page when I start the iweb application to work on the new project, my web page dissapears from the internet site.

I would ordinarily just keep at a problem like this until I figured out a solution. However, since I have to get out the car and drive several miles before I can "publish" one of my pages my "trial & error/grind it out" method is not a very practical solution. I would sure appreciate any help.

I just rememberd a third question. Iweb allows me to send a message announcing my site, that works great. However, I don't always know all the people that I want to "announce to" immediately after publishing. I know how to send a link later on, but that seems "clunky". Does anyone know a better way to invite people to the site after you have already published?

Here is a little picture taken from my deck that helps explain why I live in such a technology deprived place.

Attachments

• Deck Post 2.jpg
    Deck Post 2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 412
Reaction score
Hello DennisS and Welcome!

First off, iWeb cannot manage multiple sites. This is something I hope apple fixes soon because, like you, I would like to manage multiple sites as well. If you want to manage multiple sites, you are going to need a third party app. The app allows a person to manage two or more "domain" files that iWeb creates when a new site is created. I saw one on the net a couple of months ago, but I can't find a link for it right now. If I stumble across it sometime during the day, I'll post it. I love iWeb, but I wish it would handle more than one website at a time. Best of luck to you and your website building. Let us know if you need any further assistance!

Searay

Reaction score
Man, this is a big problem. There are 2 music groups that are depending on me RIGHT NOW to put out a simple Podcast. It never occured to me that I couldn't do two. If anyone else has immediate access to a place I can get software to do both it would be a life saver. In my humble opinion, having software where you can do a web page & a podcast but only 1 at a time is a really DUMB idea. I sure wish Apple would have made that point more obvious before I got myself into this position.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a little busy till later tonight...

But I don't get it... I use iWeb to produce 6 different websites ?

File Menu-->New site

Have I misunderstood ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hmmm....maybe I have misunderstood too. I am going to experiment with iWeb right now and see if I can manage and publish two sites to my same .Mac account. I'll post my results in a few minutes.

Ric

Reaction score
...I'm not here yet.

But I publish them to folders, not .mac !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ah ha!! Thanks Ric!

But can you manage two or more websites on .Mac buy using the folder method versus going straight to .Mac?

I am going to test this theory now.

Reaction score
Hmmm....Hey Ric, can you provide a tutorial for the folder method. I don't have a ftp server space. All I have is .Mac. I can't duplicate your setup Ric.

I guess I have a lot more learning to do!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have done a quick test...

You can publish as many sites as youwant (have space for) in your .mac account...

So if you create multiple sites...

They will all get published to .mac the top one will be the default site, the rest need to be accessed via their name...

http://web.mac.com/yourdotmacname/iWeb/

Will take you to the site in the top of your list...

The rest need to be accessed by the site name (whatever you have called it in iWeb)

So...

http://web.mac.com/yourdotmacname/iWeb/site2

http://web.mac.com/yourdotmacname/iWeb/site3

etc

Now back to the original question...

Are you creating multiple sites ?

I have iWeb 1.1.2

There is no way of just publishing one site to a local folder, when you say publish they all get published, then it is a case of stripping out what you don't want.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thank you Thank you Thank you Ric!!!!!!!

That makes me feel much better now!!! I didn't include the /iWeb part!!! Sweet!!! Now I can purchase a domain name I've wanted for a while now!!!! (after I make some money)

Searay

Sorry to digress!

Reaction score
Hello DennisS!

Yes there is. In the source bar in iWeb, select the website you wish to delete and press the delete key. Then click the publish button and it will remove the website you deleted in iWeb from the .Mac server while leaving your other sites in contact.

Searay

Ask a Question