Problems installing an OS on a 2010 mac

Reaction score
Hello. A long while ago I got an older mac from an extended family member that had no OS on it. I try to boot it up and it boots to the OSX utility page. There's an option to reinstall the OS to OSX Yosemite 10.10. When I go through the process of installing it again it prompts me the error of the item is unavailable. I researched this error and the file on the apple server to reinstall the OS is no longer there. I have tried to make a bootable USB but this mac doesn't list the USB as an option. I've tried installing the direct OSX image onto the Hard drive via my windows PC and the mac detects the drive as not a bootable device after that. I have even gone to the extent to track down the original OEM disks which I have now. When I boot the disk and try to install the older OS it says it cant install. I'm coming here for the last resort because I have tried everything in my power to try to fix this old mac. Preferably I would not wanna go to the apple store even after quarantine to fix this since it would be a waste of time and money. If anyone could lend me some support I would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mac specs: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-2.66-aluminum-13-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

Apple MacBook Pro 13-Inch "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 Mid-2010

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That model MacBook Pro supports up to macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

-Which OEM discs did you acquire? Macs haven't come with physical media since the days of OS X Lion 10.7.5, so there aren't any physical install discs compatible with that MacBook Pro. All releases of OS X/macOS since Lion have only been available though the App Store.
-You cannot install OS X/macOS from a disk image copied to the drive in that way.
-You could try using Internet Recovery to install macOS: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery
-You can create a bootable installer on another Mac and use it: How to create a bootable installer for macOS or using DiskMaker X

Apple shouldn't charge anything to reinstall OS X/macOS in an Apple Store, when they are reopened after the COVID-19 closure is ended.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have bought the Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.3 disks. These should have been the disks that would have come with the MacBook I think. I tried to use internet recovery to reinstall the OS but the message that pops up is that the item is unavailable. It would be relatively easy to make a bootable USB for Mac and I did create one but the mac doesn't detect the USB drive.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Is it a retail Snow Leopard disc?
-If the gray OEM discs - what are the part numbers on them? They are machine-specific.
-Did you try Option-Command-R in Internet Recovery, as that should give you the option to install a later version of macOS?
-Did you create the bootable USB disk with a PC or Mac? PCs don't create them properly.

C

Reaction score
Here is the disk info https://prnt.sc/sgsixi

I created a bootable USB using transmac on windows since I don't have a spare mac in my house.

For the internet recovery part. Whenever I boot up my mac it auto boots to the OSX utilitys screen. And when I have tried to do the internet recovery the screen prompts me that the item is unavailable.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

It looks like that part number may be for a different Mac. I found the part number is 2Z691-6623-1 for your MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) aluminum unibody model. It looks like the part number in your photo: 2Z691-6653-A is for the MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) white polycarbonate unibody model. That could be why it isn't working.

Are you holding the Option-Command-R keys when powering on from a powered off state until you see the Internet Recovery icon?
iu.jpeg

C

Reaction score
Thanks. I have tried to boot holding command option and R keys but the screen stays white then it boots back into the OSX utilities screen.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Then it may be best to look into the disk issue I mentioned. Maybe a retail copy of the Snow Leopard disc would be the way to go.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Then it may be best to look into the disk issue I mentioned. Maybe a retail copy of the Snow Leopard disc would be the way to go.

C
Okay, thanks. How would I find out what type of disk I would need? With the correct part number and all

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Any retail Snow Leopard disc that is 10.6.3 or later should work.

Here is where I found the part numbers I described above:
MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) White Polycarbonate Unibody - Part #2Z691-6653-A (the version you have)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) Aluminum Unibody - Part #2Z691-6623-1 (10.6.3) or 2Z691-6727-A, 2Z691-6770-A (10.6.4)

You could contact them directly to verify. NOTE: The OS X Install/Restore USB Sticks they offer technically aren't legal, since everything after Lion 10.7 was released via the App Store and never on install discs or other media (other than a model of MacBook Air that came with an OEM Apple flash stick).

C

Reaction score
Any retail Snow Leopard disc that is 10.6.3 or later should work.

Here is where I found the part numbers I described above:
MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) White Polycarbonate Unibody - Part #2Z691-6653-A (the version you have)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) Aluminum Unibody - Part #2Z691-6623-1 (10.6.3) or 2Z691-6727-A, 2Z691-6770-A (10.6.4)

You could contact them directly to verify. NOTE: The OS X Install/Restore USB Sticks they offer technically aren't legal, since everything after Lion 10.7 was released via the App Store and never on install discs or other media (other than a model of MacBook Air that came with an OEM Apple flash stick).

C
So you're saying that if I get the correct disk for the mac it should work? Would this disk be correct? https://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?products_id=7924 I can't tell what would be compatible and what wouldn't when it comes to the disks. Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that is a Snow Leopard retail disc, which isn't machine-specific, and will work on any Mac that supports it. The retail disc is distinguished by the Snow Leopard photo on the box and disc. Your MBP requires at least 10.6.3, so make sure it is that version, as there was a Snow Leopard 10.6 disc as well.

The machine-specific disk would be: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) Aluminum Unibody - Part #2Z691-6623-1 (10.6.3) or 2Z691-6727-A, 2Z691-6770-A (10.6.4).

The difference is that the OEM gray discs include iLife and other applications shipped with Macs. Retail discs do not.

You can buy a retail Snow Leopard CD from a lot of places including eBay.

C

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I have bought the Mountian lion disks and when they arrive I will try to install the OS. I'll update the result here. Thanks

Reaction score
OK...definitely let us know how it goes.

C
Today the disk finally came in. I put the disk in the mac and after a few HDD reformats it finally installed with no issues! Very good! One more thing I would like to do is to upgrade to OSX Sierra on it. Would you know any way to do that? Thanks for everything

Ask a Question