powerbook timeline

Reaction score
the reasons for this list i have totally forgot but this is my powebook timeline till medio 2005

whats this not a rant ?
i must have fallen offa my bleeding rocker
and its with caps and points too
surley i must have gone insane

My Powerbook or indeed laptop time line is a long tale filled with woe differnt pc and mac laptops. ( Though i seem to gravitate towards Apple and Toshiba ) And I seem to rightfully earn my nick name as computer slut.
I am not even sure if I remember half of my past powerbooks correctly
since the timeline is laced with pc specimens as well.

So with out any further ado :

My first powerbook was a 1400 cs.
166 mhz 48 MB ram including the cd rom and floppy bays working battery and even a 33 k pc card modem .
I got that one in late 99 after an unfortunate incident with a 6300. Wich is best left un mentioned and I regard that 1400 cs as my first Mac and Powerbook .

The second Powerbook was purchased in late 2001. A used 540 c. After my 1400 cs had an unfortunate incident with the cat and myself. Needless to say it does not boot any more.
Or do anything for that matter .
Great Powerbook it might have been the 540 was far to limited for me and i moved on to a desktop in 2002 . ( an bondi blue iMac followed by a Blue G3 in 2003 an eMac in 2004 And more recently a Mac Mini ..still with me on that ? )

The third Powerbook came in early 2004:
A Powerbook firewire better known as Pismo.
500 mhz G3 192 mb ram 20 gig hd and even a DVD module.
Nice.
Even though I thought and still think the praise layed upon the Pismo by various Mac sites is a bit too much. ( The much touted expanadbility does little for me. Because i dont use the expansion bays and the modules are impossible to get in my coutry.)
It was a very nice system with a nice and large screen great keyboard. Dubbed very nicley as a hand and lap warmer as well.
And had adequate os X performance albeit slowly thanks to the 192 MB of ram and poxy 8 MB video card.
Unfortunaly Pismo bliss ended around early this year when it short circuited and fried the motherboard.
Exit one dead pismo leaving me with out a Powerbook.

Until recently

Enter Powerbook number four:
Or is that iBook ?
Either way untill april 2005 I was rather Powerbook less .
When a 299 iBook G3 600 mhz caught my eye.
It came with 384 MB ram 20 GIG HD a cd rom drive working battery (something my Pismo lacked) and original software.
and it looked almost pristine. Almost there is a scratch on the plastic cover.
Other then that it still looks like it did when it rolled out of the factory 3 years ago.
A steal and not long after i walked off with an icebook
and it stil dubs as a nice hand warmer.
Its smal foot print and relativley low weight are great.
The keyboard is not bad. The touch pad could have been a bit smaller ( I keep hitting it with my thumb sending the cursor haywire . )
But its far snappier then the Pismo i am sure the 16 MB ati rage agp 2X video card and the 384 MB ram are more responsible for that then the 100 mhz speed boost .
In all its a step up from the Pismo for me in all but one thing the screen.
When you are used to 15 and 14 inch lcd screens. A 12 inch one comes as quite a shock .
But im sure ill adapt ...eventually
In the mean time il just lust after a 17 inch Tibook like everybody else .

And thats my (convulted) Powerbook line.
Sort off

The Fifth Powerbook :
Not really a Powerbook I am using for any meaningfull tasks. More a machine I picked up cheap for fun
Another 1400 cs this time a 117 mhz with 32 MB ram .
..No idea what to with it. I cant stand the classic MAC OS any more after switching to X full time.

Oh well.

Maybe I should change my nick name to Powerbook killer .
Since I left two dead in my wake
The least said about my desktop time line the better.

Ask a Question