Powerbook hardisk 'claims' only 0k free

Reaction score
Hi, My 12" Powerbook Running OSX Tiger claims there is no space on my hardisk (0k free) but I have been deleting gigabites of space and know there is plenty of room. I can't install new software, can't run programs that need a temp file created. I use Filevault for the whole harddisk, and guess it might be the problem, but I can't turn it off as it needs 2 gigs to make an image first ! I'm really stuck and desperate for advice. Please Help ! Many thanks in advance. Adam.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Adam and welcome !

Do you have an external hard drive or CD/DVD burner where you can offload some stuff to...then delete it from the internal drive. Then restart, this should then create a new .sparse image file (the bit that file vault creates) once you get this small enough, you should be able to turn Filevault off.

Filevault is certainly the problem...to turn Filevault off you need the same amount of free space that your "Home" folder takes up...so if it's 30GB then you need 30GB free !

I'll see if I can find any other solutions...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

MANY thanks for you speedy response! I tried your first advise last night (deleting backing up iTunes library to a spare Hard Disk and deleting from main troublesome Hard Disk) but it still claimed there was 0k available. I will tonight try out the second advice (verifying/repairing the Filevault whilst loged in as a new user) and see if that works. Thanks again for your help so far ! :)

Reaction score
Hi there Adam and welcome !

Do you have an external hard drive or CD/DVD burner where you can offload some stuff to...then delete it from the internal drive. Then restart, this should then create a new .sparse image file (the bit that file vault creates) once you get this small enough, you should be able to turn Filevault off.

Filevault is certainly the problem...to turn Filevault off you need the same amount of free space that your "Home" folder takes up...so if it's 30GB then you need 30GB free !

I'll see if I can find any other solutions...

regards

Ric

Hi Ric, I didn't know that, you learn somthing new every day! :)

Ric

Reaction score
...today I learn't that battery powered strimmers are useless !

This could be a whole new thread !

;-)

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Its fixed ! I tried to set up administration user to get in and fix firevault as your most recent tip suggested - but needed a few k just to set up an account - so couldn't. Then I was about to reinstall OSX when whilst I was restarting I was suddenly (finally!) offered the option to reclaim space on firevault. I hit 'YES' and after about ten minutes whirring around my harddisk registered 20GB free again ! Phew !

Thanks again so much for your help. MUCH MUCH appreciated,
Best regards, Adam.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Adam,

I'm glad you got it sorted !

I presume Filevault is now staying off ;-)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question