Please help - iMac won't boot

Reaction score
Can anybody please help? I tried to install an Adobe Creative Cloud app yesterday, after trying a few times the install was keep failing so I restarted. Since then I cannot start my iMac. It keeps going to the Apple screen and the progress bar gets all the way to the end then it shuts down - I can't even get to the password screen. I have no idea what I'm doing but after Googling:

I have tried to boot in Safe mode but it doesn't work.

I can start up in Recovery mode. I have tried the disc repair option in disk utility using 'first aid' but I get the following error on osx: The volume osx could not be verified completely. File system check exit code 8. Updating boot support partitions for the volume as File system verify or repair failed. Operation failed ...

I have also tried to repair the disk in Single User Mode with fsck but I get the follwing error: disk 0s2: 1/O error The volume osx cannot be verified completely.

I have also tried to reinstall OS X from Recovery mode but when I select the disk to install OS X it won't let me restore because it says 'this disk is locked'.

Can anybody please help? I have not used Time Machine before and I have absolutely no back up of anything (I am an idiot) ....is there anyway to back up my data from OS X utilities please? I don't have access to another Mac.
It was working perfectly until I tried to install Adobe Creative Cloud!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I am at a loss and worried about loosing all of my files.
Please help.
Many thanks, Nicola

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model iMac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which version of Adobe Creative Suite?
-How much free space is available on the hard drive?

C

Ask a Question