imac 27" stuck booting into windows-Please help!

Reaction score
Hi. I have never posted a question in a forum before, so please excuse my ignorance of the way things work. My current problem started after I installed windows xp pro via bootcamp on my imac 27" (2009) running snow leopard 10.6. The problems are twofold it seems. My biggest problem is that I am not able to boot back into osx at all now. I had it so that when you change the boot options by holding the option key during boot, you would be prompted for a password before continuing. It worked fine for awhile, but recently when I input the password and press enter nothing happens. It lets me type it in, but when I press enter it just blanks again and remains at the same prompt. I have not been successful using any other key combinations during boot since then either. It just boots straight into windows xp,and there is no bootcamp information on the xp install that I can find. In addition, I can only boot windows in VGA or Safe mode, if I do not i just end up with a dark screen. I would really appreciate some help with this. Any help really. It has been two weeks since I have been able to use my imac. Thank you in advance for any help.

Reaction score
If its the firmware password, then you'll have to take it to a Apple Service Centre, there should be one in your area.

Reaction score
How can I tell if it's a firmware password? It gave me an option to password protect changing the boot device, which I did, and it all worked fine until recently. Also, it's not saying the password is wrong, it's just not doing anything when I enter it.

Reaction score
You could try this...

Disabling Password Protection

1) Boot into the Open Firmware. (Command + Option + O + F)

2) Type "setenv security-mode none" and press return.

3) Enter in the password at the password request prompt and press return.

4) Then type "reset-all" to restart the computer.

Force Removing Password Protection

1) Add or remove DIMMs to change the total amount of RAM in the computer.

2) Then, the PRAM must be reset 3 times. (Command + Option + P + R).
http://www.securemac.com/openfirmwarepasswordprotection.php

Ask a Question