Pictures being deleted in finder

Reaction score
When I try adding pictures to a folder they are getting deleted within a few seconds. I'm new to mac and still not sure how everything works but this is getting very frustrating!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Where are the pictures, what is the file extension of them (the 3 letters after the period (.) at the end of the file name), and where is the folder you are trying to put them in?

What method are you using to move the pictures?

What version of Mac OS X do you have?

Tell us exactly what happens from the second they are put in the folder and when they are deleted can you retrieve them?

Reaction score
I have the pictures on a disc I burned from my old laptop. They are JPGs. I am trying to put them in a folder under Pictures in finder.

I just selected all the pictures I wanted, copied them, then pasted them into the folder I wanted. I also tried pasting them just to the Picture folder then moving them from there into the folder I want them in.

The version of Mac OS X I have is 10.7.2

So when I copy them into any folder they appear for maybe 5 or 10 seconds and then one by one the pictures start to disappear. It starts with the 1st picture that was added and one by one they all just disappear. Once they're deleted from the folder I am not able to retrieve them. Actually I'm not really sure where they go once they've disappeared from the folder.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Very odd behaviour, that .... !!

Try dragging the photos from the disc window, onto your Desktop so they are copied to your Hard Drive, then move them into their final resting place. Do they still disappear?

Secondly, if the above fails, go through the usual method but note the file names of the jpgs, and once they've disappeared, perform a Spotlight search for them using one of the file names.

Just in case you've not used Spotlight before ... it's the Spyglass icon in the upper right of the menubar. Press Command () + Spacebar to show/hide the Spotlight drop down search field.

Reaction score
Well I found where the pictures are going to. Everytime I add pictures there is automatically a new folder made called 'Original Images' and the pictures are being sent there. I tried to delete the original images folder but it won't let me and it keeps sending my pictures to that folder. Any idea why it's doing that or how I can delete that folder?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What happened when you dragged a photo off the disc window onto your Desktop? Was the "Original Images" folder automatically created and where was it created?

Select the folder "Original Images" in Finder and press the Command () + I keys to bring up a 'Get Info' window.

Look right down the bottom for the 'Sharing & Permissions' section and if need be, click the disclosure triangle to view the section.

Your Username will be in the Name column and to the right, under Privilege, it will tell you what privileges you have regarding that folder. If it says "Read & Write" then you should be able to delete the folder. If it says 'Read Only' then this is why you cannot delete it.

At the very bottom of the window, in the right-hand side will be a padlock, either locked or open. If locked click it and when prompted, enter the Admin name/password to unlock and be able to change the privileges of that folder. If you want to delete it, just set the privies at "Read & Write". Make sure you click the padlock when you are done.

Are you able to move the photos out of this Original Images folder, to a location of your own choosing? Try Copy/Paste too.

Reaction score
When I put the pictures on my desktop they were fine. No 'Original Images' folder.

I can actually delete the 'Original Images' folder but every time I go to add new pictures in my folder then another 'Original Image' folder is made and my pictures are sent into there.

When I take the pictures from 'Original Images' folder or copy them from there they just get sent back. I'm really at a loss for what to do and why this is happening.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Is there another user account on your computer you can use to see if this behaviour replicates itself there too? It seems like some sort of Folder Action or Applescript/Automator setup ... did you purchase this Mac brand new or is it from someone else who might have set this up to happen on purpose.

It doesn't sound like something haphazard, it seems to be set up to do this each time you import/copy/paste a new image to your HD.

Do you have any other discs with photos on them so you can test to see if it will happen will all discs and not just this one?

Have a look in your Dock for Automator or Applescript to launch while you watch the photos disappear from one location and appear in this "original images" folder. By the way, where is this folder located?

Reaction score
Copy and Paste only works in Lion, in Older Macs you need to Drag and Drop to copy files from a CD.

Ask a Question