Photos won't upgrade iPhoto-Libraries on external drive.

Reaction score
Please help. When iPhoto stopped to work I hadn’t downloaded the latest update of it. So when Photos came there was no other option than to let it transfer my current iPhoto to Photos.

My older iPhoto Libraries are stored in an external hard disk. I didn’t try before now to let Photos open and transfer the latest of them. It works fine with the iPhoto-Libraries stored from my 2008 MacBook. But the ones stored from my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, won’t let themselves be recognized by Photos.

Someone suggests it could be something with the formatting of the external drive. But still, Photos is able to upgrade/transfer older iPhoto-libraries on the same drive! It's only the newest ones from my Retina that won't work. The content, a lot of files, are there in Finder, the biggest library is 110 GB. But the ikons is half erased/ dimmed, and not clickable when I try to reach them through Photos, or through iPhoto Upgrader.

I tried to give one of the Libraries the english name «iPhoto-Library» instead of the Norwegian «iPhoto-Bibliotek», with no result. Their ikon is a folder instead of a iPhoto ikon. They seem to be built up in another way.

It cannot be so that Apple denies me access to my old of pictures because they forced me to switch to a new application with no way back. I know I can get them out in the system folders, one by one, but it's a lot of work, AND I will loose my whole system with albums etc.

Please give me an advice how to solve this, I will be very thankful!

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you have any form of Time Machine or other backup of your photos on another external hard drive?

The iPhoto to Photos conversion can be a bit confusing. In addition, you cannot go back to iPhoto after your iPhoto Library has bee upgraded.

Do you have an Apple Store close to you that may be able to help? It may be better/easier for them to help you with your issue, since they will be able to physically see your Mac, external drive, and iPhoto/Photos Libraries. We would hate to suggest something that would cause you to lose your data.

C

Ask a Question