Entourage won't allow html photos

Reaction score
Greetings all. I'm a former PC, now iMac 24, New to Forum.

Looking for answer to mystery. I use Entourage for email. For a long time, when I get things like Constant Contact newsletters, there would be a link to click to allow photos to download. After a recent software update this seems to have vanished and I can't download photos that come in most html messages.

Yes, I have changed the security setting to allow downloads from saved contacts, and that works to fix the problem - sort of. I get many newsletters/messages that I don't have as a saved contact and not able to see the photos/graphics.

Anyone else had this problem?

Solutions besides saving all of these newsletters as contacts?

Thanks

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know which version of Entourage you have but I *think* what you're asking might not be possible ...

Entourage 2004 has a feature that allows HTML mail to be opened without the contained images being downloaded. If you want the images, you have to pre-add the sender's address into the Entourage address book, or else push a button ("download pictures") for that purpose after opening the email.

This applies to Entourage 2004 but I seem to get that same statement when I googled the issue.

I also came across this:

I'm not an Internet security guru, but it's my understanding that for security reasons, enabling this automatically (i.e., for all emails) is NOT an option right now. However, many people seem to want it, so who knows whether MS will enable it in a future update.

However, I don't recommend it even it it makes the cut. It takes all of a second to click on "Download pictures" and see them. Remember that some spam services rely on delivery of certain graphics for their stealth reporting and monitoring. Were you to enable this for every email you get,
you might very well end up getting a lot more spam than otherwise.

My recommendation is to grin, bear it and simply click on the Download pictures link for emails from people not already in your approved lists.

Can you see a clickable button for downloading images, on your version of Entourage?

Reaction score
Thanks for looking into this. But that's exactly the problem. The option to click on "download pictures" has vanished. I have the 2008 version of Entourage.

I love a conspiracy theory - here's one - they are trying to make you want to buy Entourage's replacement - Office 2011 for Mac.

Maybe they'll find out the problem at Macromedia and send out a patch in the next update.

Still up for tips if anyone has one.https://www.mac-help.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try these hints ...

Here are some workarounds for your issue. While they aren't optimal solutions, they may be worth using until MicroSoft releases a fix for this:

• Try resizing the message window and see if the download link appears ... wait a few seconds.
  • Go to Preferences, and click on the "Read" tab under "Mail & News Preferences."
  • Under the "Messages" section, check the second check box, and give the time delay a non-zero number. For me, the "display images" link appears once that time delay is reached and the message status changes from Not Read to Read.
  • Mark the message Unread, while in the Message window. The advantage of this method is that there's a shortcut, so you don't need to go with your mouse to the edge of the page and resize and go back to where you wanted your cursor to be. You just press Shift + Command + T, and that's it

Let me know how it goes :)

Reaction score
Thanks. Resizing worked, the download pictures appeared. I've also just tried the settings you recommended and will see how that goes.

Ask a Question