Permission to change permissions

Reaction score
I set up my old iMac for my grandson.

I created a User for him with Admin privileges. I haven’t yet deleted my User but plan to do so as soon as I have resolved my other issues.

I kept that computer running Mojave to run a 32-bit program that I needed, but don’t need it anymore. I will upgrade the computer to Catalina, which is as far as this late 2013 27” iMac can go.

Right now my grandson is part of our Family iCloud plan. I haven’t logged in his iCloud account into this computer yet. Maybe I need to do that before continuing.

I noticed that when I’m logged into his user, moving something into or out of Applications requires his user password. I don’t have to do that logged into my user.

So I did “Get Info” on Applications in Finder and checked permissions:
System Read & Write
Admin Read & Write
Everyone Read only

I pressed “+” and selected my grandson’s user.
I got the message “The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission.”.
It doesn’t matter whether I’m logged into him or myself.

How do I give him privilege on what will be his computer?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

If he is an admin, he should have the same privileges.

What are you trying to move out of the Applications folder? Most of those applications/files are protected when in the Applications folder.

C

Reaction score
I was moving an application out of the shared application folder into the logon's application folder.

But I discovered when that app updates, it's not smart enough to know where that app belongs.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Correct...applications should all be installed in the Applications folder and remain there for that and other reasons.

C

Reaction score
Updates to applications should be installed in the Applications folder that the original applications are in. There's a reason Apple designed the OS with a shared applications folder and individual applications folders.

Ask a Question