panic (cpu kernel) unable to find driver

Reaction score
My G4 powerbook, running OS10.4.x (sorry I don't remember which iteration beyond the 10.4 but it is likely .11 or higher) has developed a fatal kernel error that I cannot seem to get around.

This morning the standard four language dialog box requesting me to restart (hold down power or restart key) came up (several) times. I did attempt to restart to no avail and ultimately the verbose mode script overwrote the screen identifying the following:

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x002E1EC4): unable to find driver for this platform "PowerBook 3.3"
latest stack backtrace for cpu 0: ....

Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (xv = 0x0052BA00)
pc = 0x000000

Kernel version
Darwin Kernel ver 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDST
root: xnu -792.24.17 ~1/RELEASE_PPC

No debugger configured - dumping debug infomation
MSR= 00001030

Proceeding back via exception chain
Exception state (sv 0x0052BA00)
PC = 0x00000; MSR=0x0000D030; DAR=0x00000; DSIR=0x00000; LR=0x00000; R1=0x00000; XCP =
0x00000

Kernel version
Darwin kernel ver 8.11.0
panic: we are hanging here

The standard reboot w. holding "C" down to boot off an install_cd did not work, nor did attempting to reboot off an external firewire drive (I have disk warrior and tech tool pro on it for emergencies) ie., I assumed that I was likely to be reinstalling the OS or portions thereof.

I reset the PRAM and tried to reboot off the internal install_cd, again to no avail.

I have chased down several threads in this forum and following their suggestions I reset the firmware during restart (appl-opt O F) and upon the vi editor screen reset-nvram <return> and reset-all <return>.

Nadda: Subsequent reboot still comes up with the dialog box followed by the verbose script overwrite.

I'm not sure what is next. The computer support folks at work are not about on weekends and not surprisingly, I have an early week deadline. I am not overly panicked about losing information - I back up daily but the time and effort cost. This must be my once-a-decade mac issue; most times the little fixes and general maintenance that I know are fine.

thx

Ask a Question