OSX problem or a program running on it. (Text to speech)

Reaction score
I am running:
Mac OS X 10.4.10
Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo
2 G 667 MHz DDR2 SD RAM
Geforce 8600N
160gb 5400 RPM hard drive

The problem I have is that today for some reason when i click on things they get a black box around them and then i hear a robot text2speech voice reading what the name of the program is. It also works on Adium where when I click on a name it makes a black box around them and it says whether the contact is an "available contact" or an "away contact"

I checked in System preferences and text to speech is off, all of the notifications are off in system preferences.

The only programs I have running in force quit are Adium, Firefox, Azerus and Finder.

Reaction score
I took a few screen shots of the black box to see if anyone recognizes this.
Also there is something quite fishy in my Mac menu. Check that screen shot out too; it looks like i have multiple users logged in under the same name.

Well I dont know how to take a screenshot of the Apple Menu button but I will type out what it says.

Force Quit
Force Quit (application)
Sleep
Restart...
Restart
Shut Down...
Shut Down
Log Out Ryan Waskewich...
Log Out Ryan Waskewich

is it supposed to have 2 of each thing?

Attachments

• screenshot_02.jpg
    screenshot_02.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 278
  • screenshot_03.jpg
    screenshot_03.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 274
Reaction score
I am running:
Mac OS X 10.4.10
Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo
2 G 667 MHz DDR2 SD RAM
Geforce 8600N
160gb 5400 RPM hard drive

The problem I have is that today for some reason when i click on things they get a black box around them and then i hear a robot text2speech voice reading what the name of the program is. It also works on Adium where when I click on a name it makes a black box around them and it says whether the contact is an "available contact" or an "away contact"

I checked in System preferences and text to speech is off, all of the notifications are off in system preferences.

The only programs I have running in force quit are Adium, Firefox, Azerus and Finder.
Hello, In order to turn off VoiceOver, click the command (The key with the apple logo on it) key and the F5 key at the same time.;)

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I actually just figured it out last night on the Mac help pages.

Thanks again!

Ask a Question