OS X v10.3.9 - Grey screen with question mark on startup?

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a Mac PowerBook G4 running Panther OS X v10.3.9 and after the laptop crashing a couple of times and having to force shut down, I tried switching it on again and I now just have a grey screen with a small icon of a folder and a flashing question mark on it.

I believe I have to follow these steps, but my main concern is that I have a lot of very important files on my laptop that I haven't yet had a chance to back up onto an external hard drive. Does any one know if the steps mentioned by Apple support is likely to erase any of my files?

To be on the safe side, I'd like to connect my PowerBook to my friend's MacPro via Firewire to transfer my files before using the Restore Disk, but is this possible if my laptop is just stuck on the grey screen at startup? I am a total novice on the technical side of Macs, so can anyone explain the easiest and most simple way for me to do this? I am in a real panic as I can't risk losing my files!

Thanks in advance,
Asanta Rai

Ask a Question