SOLVED Old Mac pro hdd swap

Reaction score
I have an old Intel Mac pro where I had to swap the old HDD as it was broken but now I can't install Mac os on the new hdd because it won't boot onto my Mac os installer USB I have tried many different Mac os version(including the original Mac os x lion which it originally had) but nothing works what do I do? The Mac model is a1186

Reaction score
I have an old Intel Mac pro where I had to swap the old HDD as it was broken but now I can't install Mac os on the new hdd because it won't boot onto my Mac os installer USB I have tried many different Mac os version(including the original Mac os x lion which it originally had) but nothing works what do I do? The Mac model is a1186
“a1186” points to a MacPro3,1 (2008–2009). A MacPro3,1 should be able to run El Capitan, max. When you say the Mac OS X installer USB stick won’t boot, have you tried it on any other Mac? If it works on another Mac, it’s probable that there is something wrong with the Mac Pro’s USB controller. If you can get a hold of a OS X CD installer, up to El Capitan, and if the CD drive of the Mac Pro is working, then it would be your best option. (That model Mac Pro originally came with Version 10.5: “Leopard,” so anything between 10.5 and 10.11 should work.)

Reaction score
“a1186” points to a MacPro3,1 (2008–2009). A MacPro3,1 should be able to run El Capitan, max. When you say the Mac OS X installer USB stick won’t boot, have you tried it on any other Mac? If it works on another Mac, it’s probable that there is something wrong with the Mac Pro’s USB controller. If you can get a hold of a OS X CD installer, up to El Capitan, and if the CD drive of the Mac Pro is working, then it would be your best option. (That model Mac Pro originally came with Version 10.5: “Leopard,” so anything between 10.5 and 10.11 should work
It won't boot on a CD either I've tried lion x and leopard and snow leopard

Reaction score
“a1186” points to a MacPro3,1 (2008–2009). A MacPro3,1 should be able to run El Capitan, max. When you say the Mac OS X installer USB stick won’t boot, have you tried it on any other Mac? If it works on another Mac, it’s probable that there is something wrong with the Mac Pro’s USB controller. If you can get a hold of a OS X CD installer, up to El Capitan, and if the CD drive of the Mac Pro is working, then it would be your best option. (That model Mac Pro originally came with Version 10.5: “Leopard,” so anything between 10.5 and 10.11 should work.)
Now I got it to recognize a cd it recognizes it tries to boot for a while but then shows the 🚫 symbol

Reaction score
Nevermind I was using the wrong disk. Booted onto a leopard install disk and now it's installing
Good! I hope the installation works. I traded in my MacPro3,1 for a 5,1 and it should still be viable. I migrated all of the hard drives and SSDs to my 2018 Mac mini but it still has the upgraded metal graphics card and SSD adapters. I’m looking for a home for it, complete with a 30" Cinema Display. I will probably end up turning it in to an Apple Store for recycling.

Reaction score
Good! I hope the installation works. I traded in my MacPro3,1 for a 5,1 and it should still be viable. I migrated all of the hard drives and SSDs to my 2018 Mac mini but it still has the upgraded metal graphics card and SSD adapters. I’m looking for a home for it, complete with a 30" Cinema Display. I will probably end up turning it in to an Apple Store for recycling.
Yeah I only need the os installed so I can install open core and install a modded version of MacOS big sur

Ask a Question