Not Enough Virtual Memory--what can I do?

Reaction score
Last week I went to save a panoramic photo I create using my Canon's photostitch program and a window came up telling me I was out of virtual memory and could not save the file.
I have lots of free space left on my 2007 20" iMac but had no idea my memory was getting so low.
My question is should I buy more memory or are there some things I can do to "tidy up" the computer? I figure there must be a few things I do regarding the later, yet am having difficulty finding any guidance regarding this matter.
I use my computer for editing video and photos, and have all the files stored on a hard drive and work off them from there, so I am confused as to why I suddenly am out of memory.
I am not incredibly well versed with these things, so any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
I would say it was just that file, the older Macs have a maximum amount of virtual memory they can take, and that file hit it.

Not a lot you can do.

Make sure you have about 1/3 of your Harddrive as free space, ensure you have the Max RAM that model can take, after that its fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Maximum Memory 6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

Check the Apple Menu > About This Mac > RAM

Reaction score
So it looks like I am going to add more RAM, however, I just moved almost 100GB of pictures and other documents into my external hard drive, emptied my trash, and restarted the computer...in an attempt to get that panorama saved (it's for work and pretty important) I thought I had done the trick because it didn't tell me I was out of virtual memory when I went to save--instead now it looks like its saving for a few seconds then the program crashes...it's done this 3 times now--any suggestions??
And thank you so much in advance for your help!!:confused:

Reaction score
Save the photos in a lower resolution before making the panorama, you are creating a file that is too big. You will never be able to give it to anyone at that size, so make it smaller before you start.

Reaction score
So my nightmare continues...
I just added another 4GB of RAM, my computer recognizes that I now have 5GB of RAM while before it was just 1...but when I go to save the panorama I was trying to before it STILL says there is not enough virtual memory--how is that possible??
Please help!

Reaction score
because the computers memory is a combination of RAM and the scratch space on the Harddrive call virtual which is used as virtual RAM, virtual mean not the real thing. Your problem is that the panorama the App is making is too big to fit in memory, too big to save, too big to share. Its too big for your computer.

If you want to monitor your memory usage you can see this in Activity Monitor.

Reaction score
I see...does it make sense then that I was able to create and save these kinds of panoramas previously? I've made about 5 in the past 3 weeks

Reaction score
I have lots of free space left
Can you make a very simple one, save it and see if it errors, then add more, save and check again?

You could also try and delete the Library > Preferences > .plist for that app.

Ask a Question