Not Enough Disk Space

Reaction score
i dont know why it says i have planty of room, but i cant download anything and tha message comes up...i dont know how to clear my disk space...
i have OS X 10.4
someone please help i just got a mac this past year
thanks...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Check the Trash in the following apps:

iMovie
iPhoto

Both these apps have their own internal Trash which is different to the main Trash you see on your Desktop. This can rob your Mac of valuable disc space and they made need emptying.

Also you should look in the Apps folder for any apps you no longer use or need and post back here for advice on whether or not it's safe to remove them.

Keep trying to download OnyX and/or Whatsize as they are useful in these situations.

OnyX (look for appropriate version compatible with your Mac, on this page)

WhatSize

>

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Does Software Update work for you? Does the downloading fail there too?

What web browser are you using? Have you tried emptying the cache? How about in another user account, does this problem persist?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
im using safari...and i dont know how to clear the cache....

Can you please post back how regarding my other questions ....

20080218-1gyku1fi9hmj7w35d3jftqs6ak.jpg

Reaction score
ya... i cleared the cache and it does let me use the software update....
i dont have another user account....
so i dont know... thanks for all the help by the way

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
So, can you download and run the apps I linked earlier ^?

Try creating a new user account and call it "Test". Then you can see whether this issue relates to your account or is system wide ...

Open a Finder window and tell me how much disc space it shows as available and how big is your HD?

20080218-dcjihpigsxy4fn6e16w7msdtpd.jpg

As you can see out of my 250GBs I only have 112.54GB available ....

Reaction score
hey...i could download those things on the test account...
and i looked at my finder and i have 135 out of 160 gb....
thanks again...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Let me know the test results when you run OnyX ... I usually only need to run the Cleaning then Maintenance scripts. I leave the rest pretty much alone and suggest you probably should do the same ...

Also, when you're running OnyX, don't do anything on your Mac until the process is complete and OnyX is shut down. (There's a few reboots involved in the meantime)

BTW, in your original account, whereabouts do you have the downloads destination set to? I use the Desktop. I'm just thinking about the "Not Enough Disc Space" thingy. It seems odd considering you have a gazillion GBs free.

Ask a Question